Job Opportunity Job ID: 28741 Positions Location: St. Johns, MI Job Description General Purpose of Job: Description:
Positions Location: St. Johns, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Responsible for providing medical staff or other qualified persons with accurate timely laboratory test results. Must be capable of performing a wide variety of complex clinical laboratory tests and procedures, according to established standards; maintains and/or calibrates highly scientific equipment; assists in documenting, compiling, and distribution of Quality Control Material.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Performs accurate and timely assays in the following areas of the laboratory: hematology, coagulation, serology, urinalysis, chemistry, blood bank, and microbiology. In each of these areas, the generation of a laboratory value is the result of following a strict protocol, which is outlined in the procedure manuals.
- Performs secondary review of designated tests.
- Approves proficiency testing for reporting.
- Functions as designee to sign-off on proficiency testing.
- Responsible for performing quality control measures and calibrations as prescribed in the various procedure manuals. This should include performance, documentation, corrective measures if indicated, and processing of the data.
- Performs monthly QC review.
- Operates the computer system within the laboratory. This includes order entry, resulting, releasing of results and generation of the hard copy laboratory report.
- Writes standard operating procedures.
- Reviews monthly maintenance.
- Prepares results of method validations for medical director's approval.
- Verifies patient identity. Obtains laboratory specimens from patients. This includes instructing and collecting various body fluids, including blood specimens obtained both from veins and from artery collections.
- Identifies and correctly labels various laboratory specimens.
- Maintains and ensures correct function of each machine within the laboratory.
- Signs off/approves technicians' competencies.
- Assists in training of new caregivers.
- Collects legal specimens and testifies in court as deemed by subpoena.
- Unpacks, dates and correctly stores laboratory supplies as they arrive.
- Notifies doctors or their designees of critical values immediately when they arise.
- Prepares various reagents as needed. These reagents must be properly prepared, dated, and stored as needed.
- Involved in performance improvement planning for the department.
- Must be aware of department and hospital policies, either by attending department meetings, reading the minutes, or review of hospital and department policy and procedure manuals.
- May serve in charge capacity
- Prioritizes workload to maximize efficiency while meeting patient and physician needs.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Job Family Patient Services/Nursing Support Requirements: Shift Evenings Degree Type / Education Level Bachelor's Status Full-time Facility Sparrow Clinton Hospital Experience Level Under 4 Years
Apply on company website