Now Brewing- Senior Data Scientist, Digital Customer Analytics
Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by guiding business decisions through being able to provide thought leadership & analytics subject matter expertise to relevant business objectives. You will be able to design & recommend appropriate analytics approaches to solve key business problems, which can be developed in a cross-functional manner and can be consumed by business partners at all levels. There needs to be a focused attention on insights personalization that focuses on turning data into information. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Analyze business requirements for digital teams, and develop business cases & impact assessments of potential analytics solutions to support decisions in these teams
- Actively consult with stakeholders to identify pain points in customer or partner journey, ideate where analytics insights or data products may be useful, and co-create high-level solutions with a cross-functional working team.
- Determine analytic approaches and statistical models to solve business problems; incorporate machine learning algorithms where appropriate.
- Structure ambiguous problems collaborating with business SMEs and across the larger Analytics & Insights community to help design pragmatic data products (dashboards, data science models, ad-hoc analyses) that create tangible impact for business teams.
- Build and develop scalable real-time Machine Learning applications and determination and grit to get new features from proof of concept to production. Independently investigate/troubleshoot issues related to model and data pipelines and refer to documentation, system architecture to identify root cause and resolution.
- Influence adoption of insights to support data-driven decision-making
- Communicate technical insights from analytics & data science projects to business partners at various levels in the organization that enables understanding and drives actionability.
- Provide critical thinking and analytics subject matter expertise in stakeholder engagements
- Lead discussions with business partners to define business questions and recommend appropriate methods to address business questions; translate unstructured strategic questions into structured analysis plan
- Partner with larger A&I team, and technology to implement analytic insights and recommendations into business processes (e.g., automation of new KPIs, user acceptance testing for additional data feeds)
- Extract data from various databases; perform exploratory data analyses, cleaning & aggregating insights. Employ scaling & automation to data preparation techniques
- Introduce incremental improvements to data analysis, visualization, and presentation techniques to communicate discoveries
- Research relevant emerging empirical methods and quantitative tools
- Possess in-depth business knowledge to initiate and drive discussions with business partners to identify business issues needing analytic solutions
- Establish brand and team as subject matter experts in advanced analytics across departments
- Mentor junior data scientists in pioneering techniques and business acumen
Puts the Customer First: Has a relentless focus on the customer. Understands what the customer wants and how to best deliver the experience.
Works Well with Others: Listens and communicates well with others within and outside of Starbucks. Creates a team environment that is positive and productive.
Leads Courageously: Takes personal responsibility to do the right thing and persists in times of challenge or uncertainty. Adapts quickly to change and makes timely, thoughtful decisions.
Develops Continuously: Continuously seek opportunities to improve self and others. Leads with trust, honesty and commitment to hire, coach and develop partners to achieve their potential.
Achieves Results: Understands what drives overall business success and is accountable to prioritize and deliver quality results. Demonstrates knowledge of core products and processes to get results. Anticipates obstacles and takes action to prevent or minimize their impact.
Summary of Experience
- Years within data analysis field or discipline (3 years minimum)
- Education: BA/BS w/ concentration in business or quantitative discipline - Stats, Math, Comp Sci, Engineering, Econ, or similar; Masters preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience with analytical methods, business process analysis & analytics enablement
- High proficiency in developing key metrics for driving & maintaining healthy business performance
- Strong problem-solving skills with ability to influence leadership teams at different levels
- Working knowledge of data systems design & data technologies
- Knowledge of statistics & scripting (SQL, Python or R)
- Demonstrated experience with Distributed Big Data Processing (Spark/PySpark)
- Demonstrated experience with Deep Learning (TensorFlow/Keras or Pytorch)
- Demonstrated experience with Recommender systems (Collaborative Filtering, Reinforcement Learning and Multi-Armed Bandits)
- Ability to handle, and maintain the confidentiality of, highly sensitive information.
- Demonstrated experience with communication tools (PowerPoint, virtual collaboration spaces)
- Business experience with several data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau)
- Retail, customer, or digital analytics experience preferred
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply on company website