At Starbucks, our mission is to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup, and one neighborhood at a time. Starbucks Technologists work to achieve this mission through the use of cutting-edge technology delivered to our partners, customers, stores, roasters, and global communities.
This Development Manager role contributes to Starbucks success by delivering high-quality, reliable, and stable software and security capabilities in support of the Starbucks Point of Sale (POS) Platform. This position is accountable for the software development, monitoring, analysis, maintenance, and technical support of the POS Platform.
The Development Manager role requires leadership through a strong customer service orientation and continuous improvement mindset to continually deliver enhanced capabilities elevating the user experience. The ability to lead, influence, and partner effectively with others is critical to success in this role. The Development Manager passionately fosters team member development in the context of a high-performing team consistently delivering business value and exceptional customer service.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Planning and Execution - Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
- Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization
- Plans and manages business unit and department processes and engineering practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
- Project Investments/Initiation – In partnership with product management and product owners, align on technology roadmap and portfolio priorities. Collaboratively establish project scope, budget, supporting business case, and resource requirements.
- Technology Leadership – Coordinates effective platform management across peer technology functions - solution architecture, application development/engineering, quality assurance. Understands and coordinates potential dependencies across solution design, development, testing, deployment, support, and maintenance activities.
- Vendor Management – Builds strong vendor relationships to influence product roadmaps while managing contractual arrangements and service-level agreement compliance.
Technical Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Support the platform development team and perform activities to resolve developer issues in a timely and accurate fashion
- Set the vision for build and release processes
- Conducts research and makes recommendations on engineering standards, practices, and architecture in support of Starbucks Technology
- Ensures application and infrastructure architectural solutions are stable, secure, and compliant with Company standards and practices
- Provide high-availability operational support and automate solutions across the environment
- Implements deep telemetry capabilities to provide ongoing success and performance metrics
- Is knowledgeable in Operational IT Management to include Change Management, Release Management, Incident Management, and Problem Management
Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results
- Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
- Innovation – Foster a culture of innovation and thought leadership. Cultivate innovative concepts and provide opportunities to transform ideas into technology solutions.
- Strategy & Roadmap – Accountable for strategy and capability roadmap (translating capabilities into technology solutions) for area of responsibility
- Solutions Approach – During project definition/initiation, accountable for defining high-level, shared vision/approach. Thoughtfully coordinate the deployment of technology solutions to ensure an exceptional end-user experience
- Communication - Communicates effectively with positive impact. Listens attentively, processes, and takes appropriate action. Facilitates the discussion of conflicting issues between individuals and across groups. Expresses ideas clearly in documents and written communications.
Partner Development & Team Building - Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
- Challenges and inspires team members to achieve business results.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partners, business and customer results
- Performance Management – Accountable for the productivity, work quality, collaboration, and positive, engaging behavior of team members. Provides partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities supporting career development and formation of effective teams. Ability to manage teams comprised of functional, technical, and/or analytical professionals at a variety of levels.
- Resource Planning – Fully understands and plans for required resources across solution support and delivery efforts. Ensures required resource capacity and skill coverage through internal and timely external staff augmentation as appropriate.
Summary of Experience
- 10+ years of professional industry experience with software development and operations.
- 5 years of managing system or application development projects of all sizes and complexities, including large systems.
- 5+ years of experience in one of the following: Java, C#
- 3-5 years of leading or managing small technical teams
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated application of all facets of systems development lifecycle and technology operations.
- Demonstrated experience implementing and managing high capacity, redundant, and mission critical environments
- Knowledge in databases and comfortable with various open source databases
- Strong knowledge of Agile methodologies, i.e. Single Piece Flow.
- Ability to leverage business knowledge, sound judgment, and resourcefulness to determine appropriate course of action in challenging, ambiguous situations.
- Collaboratively and objectively assesses benefits, costs, and viability of proposed solution options and drives alignment across a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to engage with and present ideas to senior leadership. Provides key input to facilitate decision-making process.
- General knowledge of retail technologies (POS/Payments/Endpoint Management)
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply on company website