Who We Are It's not just about coffee. It's about being part of a different kind of company. The mission of Starbucks is to inspire the human spirit, one person, one cup, one neighborhood at a time. At Starbucks, it's about connection – with our customers, our partners (employees), our communities and our coffee. Our culture is defined by our values which are to create a culture of warmth and belonging, act with courage and collaborate across disciplines. We are committed to connecting with transparency, dignity, and respect while delivering the absolute best in all we do. We are performance driven, through the lens of humanity, and if you are part of Starbucks, you are part of something special – you are a Partner in one of the most recognized and respected companies in the world.
Job Summary and Mission This Digital Workplace position contributes to Starbucks success building and leading high performing Agile scrum teams on Global Technology projects ranging from basic platform enhancements to complex enterprise product implementations and upgrades. As a servant leader, the senior scrum master partners closely within IT and the project stakeholders on project planning, forms and leads the scrum team, champions continuous improvement, and partners with the project and product managers in the responsive delivery of solutions. The senior scrum master plays a key role in contributing to the emergence of a healthy, effective Agile Practice for project and portfolio teams.
Summary of Key Responsibilities Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops a clear understanding of projects within the program portfolio, leads scrum teams with a clear understanding of business and IT context, and develops an understanding of cross-program portfolio synergies and dependencies.
- Drives the Agile-driven segments of complex, cross-functional, enterprise projects, leading multiple high performing, and often globally distributed teams.
- Works independently, without the need for day-to-day guidance.
- In partnership with the product owner, mentors/coaches scrum teams on user story sizing and acceptance criteria definition, facilitates the definition of minimal viable product, and leads continuous refinement and prioritization of the product backlog.
- In reference to Agile best practices and learnings from previous Starbucks projects, establishes the scum framework for the project and secures scrum team and management team working agreements.
- Drives development of the release and sprint roadmaps.
- Leads sprint planning and task definition, sprint execution, impediment removal and tracking, sprint review, and retrospectives.
- Partners with project and release managers in production deployment activities.
- Ensures that Agile-related project reporting, such as burndowns and status updates, are relevant, transparent, and add value.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Leadership and Communication:
- Lead by example – with confidence, a positive attitude, patience, honesty and integrity, and a strong sense of commitment.
- Ability to ‘read the room', to know what is possible and what is not, and to know how to navigate any situation efficiently and effectively.
- Deeply collaborative leadership style.
- Ability to engage in difficult conversations that result in positive, actionable outcomes.
- Ability to navigate complex political landscapes effectively.
- Seek and provide honest, transparent feedback.
- Team-building mastery.
- Ability to set expectations and hold individuals and team members accountable to their commitments.
- Drive decision-making that favours compromise and alignment over consensus-building.
- Masterful facilitation skills for all types of engagements.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
Acumen and Learning Agility:
- Deep understanding of IT program and portfolio management practices and Agile methodologies.
- Keep knowledge and appreciation of Agile practise and principles and experience advocating these practices and principles across cross-functional organizations.
- Proven success and experience with transitioning teams from waterfall to scrum in an enterprise IT environment.
- Knowledge of standards and practices for IT project lifecycle management activities and deliverables.
- Understanding of project technical activities, including: (1) solution analysis and design; (2) enterprise, solution, and infrastructure architecture; (3) systems integration; (4) data conversion and migration; (5) environment management and build processes; and (6) deployment planning and execution.
- Expertise in MS Project (Project Server) and at least one program portfolio management tool, such as MS Project Portfolio Management (PPM).
- Advanced skills in the MS Office Product Suite, particularly Word, Visio, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Summary of Experience
- Minimum of three years project management experience in and IT or software development setting.
- Minimum of five years' experience as a scrum master in an IT or software development setting.
- Scrum Master Certification required.
- Experience leading Agile scrum teams on complex, integrated platforms.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration, or Management preferred.
- Product Owner and SAFe Certifications are a plus.
Core Competencies Puts the Customer First: Has a relentless focus on the customer. Understands what the customer wants and how to best deliver the experience. Works Well with Others: Listens and communicates well with others within and outside of Starbucks. Creates a team environment that is positive and productive. Leads Courageously: Takes personal responsibility to do the right thing, and persists in times of challenge or uncertainty. Adapts quickly to change and makes timely, thoughtful decisions. Develops Continuously: Continuously seek opportunities to improve self and others. Leads with trust, honesty and commitment to hire, coach and develop partners to achieve their potential. Achieves Results: Understands what drives overall business success and is accountable to prioritize and deliver quality results. Demonstrates knowledge of core products and processes to get results. Anticipates obstacles and takes action to prevent or minimize their impact.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply on company website