How You Will Make An Impact:
The Senior Data Protection Engineering candidate should have a combination of storage/data protection experience and system administrator skills. The role will have a primary focus on backing up and protecting the data at Thermo Fisher Scientific. The engineer will be responsible for designing data protection solutions for a wide variety of applications, and performing backup configuration, maintenance and troubleshooting tasks for a multi-site multi-vendor storage infrastructure. Must be a self-starter with high level analytical skills combined with thorough documentation abilities. This position will report to the Storage and Data Protection manager.
How You Will Get Here:
- Combined minimum of 8 years' higher education and/or work experience in systems design, management and/or architecture
- 5+ years' experience in working with customers in identifying their business and technical requirements, and designing and/or implementing optimal technical solutions for them
- Advanced knowledge of data protection appliances or software (Example: Data Domain, Avamar, Veeam, Druva)
- Knowledgeable in VMware, Windows/Linux Operating Systems, SQL/Oracle Databases, and ERP systems such as SAP, JDEdwards
- Comprehensive understanding of IT processes and best practices related to backup and recovery, and SAN technology.
- Strong Experience in scripting (PowerShell, Perl, Python etc.) to automate the backup services
- Proficiency with pertinent project management, word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Capable of working on multiple projects of a complex nature
- Experience on large system enhancements, conversions, and production problem resolution
- Complete understanding of the system development life cycle
- Excellent problem-solving skills to assist in issue resolution
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical, and decision-making skills
What You Will Do:
- Performs the installation, configuration, maintenance, and documentation for various backup technologies.
- Develop, implement, and oversee policies and procedures to ensure consistent backup and recovery processes, uptime, and regulatory compliance.
- Develop and maintain testing process for current, new, and modified backup appliances and software
- Automates backup/recovery operations to improve operational efficiency.
- Researches new backup technologies and makes recommendations to management.
- Provides analysis and resolution assistance to operational and technical personnel.
- Works with technical, operational, and functional areas to answer questions, resolve problems and identify opportunities for efficiency gains
- This position requires a dynamic, hard-working and ambitious individual, with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Candidates will possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills and have experience working in large enterprise operational environments
- Work closely with customer support team to communicate the root cause of the outage, duration and recommendations or steps to resolve issues
- Resolve incidents and problems in accordance within guidelines and meets operational agreements
- Implement change requests and meet project deliverables within defined guidelines
- Achieve and understand Service Level commitments for all open systems platform
- Position will require shift-based work hours. Including, but not limited to, weekend and after hour shifts.
- Responsible for mentoring junior team members, developing ITIL procedures and best practices standards
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website