Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Applies knowledge and experience to accomplish job duties that include verifying products are in square, and modifying products to correct out of conformance issues.
- Pays attention to PPE and JSA guidelines based equipment, tools, and materials to be handled, to insure personal and environmental safety.
- Works in teams to accomplish overall plant goals regarding safety, efficiency, quality, and customer satisfaction.
- Guides electrodes, or torch and filler rod, along horizontal weld line at specified speed and angle to melt and deposit metal from filler rod or electrode onto work piece.
- Reads measurement devices such as tape measure, combination square, carpenters square, T square, etc., to build quality products that require exact specifications and rework as needed.
- Welds metal parts, using gas welding equipment as specified by layout, welding diagram, or work order.
- Works in hectic, noisy environment and pays special attention to critical processes.
- Distinguishes types of metal, metal thickness, temperature of weld, etc., and appropriate welding procedures based on materials involved.
- Performs first piece inspection regarding forming sequence, shape, etc. by comparing to model drawing
- Selects equipment and plans layout, assembly, and welding, applying knowledge of measurement, physical properties of metal (weld shrinkage), and welding techniques.
- Troubleshoots work-related problems by applying knowledge and experience to effectively maintain production/quality goals.
- Understands the affects of the movement of air on torch gases, etc., to the weld quality.
- Maneuvers work pieces by hand in a repetitive manner conductive to efficiency, job specifications, safety, and quality goals.
- Selects torch, torch tip, filler rod, etc., according to job needs or reference drawings for specifications considering type and thickness of metal.
- Implements production practices that support and meet ISO standards by locating and referencing respective drawings throughout production.
- Inspects work piece for defects using templates, drawings, square, tape measure, etc., to identify quality related exceptions using quality manual, and judges condition and action to be taken.
- Maintaining a clean, organized work area to support personal and environment safety goals and accomplish quality production.
- Maintains awareness of equipment condition, performs basic maintenance such as ground clamps, robot components, welding leads, etc., to slow equipment attrition and maintain high quality production.
- Sets up equipment and welds parts, using arc, gas-shielded arc, or gas welding equipment.
- Turns regulator valves to activate flow of gases, adjusts gas mixture and pressure, to obtain desired shielding gas, based on knowledge of gas-welding techniques.
- Lays out, positions, aligns, and fits components together.
- Receives verbal instructions, reads board, or confer with supervisor for work instructions.
- Connects regulator valves and hoses to oxygen and fuel gas cylinders, and welding torch.
- Plans sequence of operations, applying knowledge of physical properties of metal.
- Must pass employer performance tests or standard tests to meet quality standards.
- Utilizes bar code system for tracking production information, time keeping, etc.
- Utilizes SAP to accomplish and track production data.
- Welds or tack-welds overlapping edges of positioned components to fabricate sheet metal assemblies, such as panels, refrigerator shells, using a spot-welding gun.
- Chips or grinds off burrs, sharp edges, excess weld, slag, or spatter using hand or bench grinders and other power tools.
- Positions and clamps together components of fabricated metal products preparatory to welding.
- Positions parts in jigs or fixtures on bench or floor, or clamps parts together along layout marks.
- Repairs broken or cracked metal objects, fills holes, and builds up metal parts.
- Measures and marks locations for metal components on assembly table, following blueprints.
- Repairs products by dismantling, straightening, reshaping, and reassembling parts, using cutting torch, straightening press, and hand tools.
- Works with hazardous materials such as MEK and identifies and applies appropriate safety behaviors/PPE to protect personal and environmental resources.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website