Staff Scientist, Manufacturing Sciences
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
This position is in Pleasanton, CA and reports into GTS division that are part of the Life Sciences Solutions group.
How will you make an impact?
This position will help enable the Pleasanton site to meet it's year productivity targets, allowing the site and divisions to reinvest into the company. This position would also work to improve processes within the oligo manufacturing value streams.
What will you do?
- Develop manufacturing process for the synthesis of small as well as large scale DNA/RNA/modified oligonucleotides.
- Develop HPLC processes for purifying DNA/RNA/modified oligonucleotides to meets customer's quality and quantity requirement.
- Troubleshoot the oligo synthesis manufacturing instruments and oligo synthesis protocols as required.
- Optimize the oligo manufacturing processes to make higher quality oligos first time, on time, every time.
- Lead/work with functional teams to streamline processes to improve the customer experience, enable profitable growth and become more efficient.
- Train, coach and follow-up with teams to ensure system improvements are sustained and the stakeholders are running the processes independently
- Work closely with site PPI steering committee to identify ways to accelerate the culture change necessary to support the PPI Business System.
- Provide ongoing support to multiple teams
- Help teams identify new productivity projects through value stream mapping, data analysis and daily management systems.
- Manage multiple projects and initiatives concurrently to meet product as well as process release/transfer timelines.
- Lead, plan and design experimental methods to achieve technical objectives as well as identify and solve complex problems
- Research, design and implement experiments for future productivity efforts.
- Work with team to investigate trends, performs statistical analysis to analyze the trends, conduct root cause analysis, provide recommendation and implement corrective action for processes.
- Prepare and present written and oral reports to manager, extended R&D teams, and senior leadership.
- Perform other responsibilities to support the needs of the department, as assigned.
- Interact with suppliers, operations, logistics, QA, EHS, and R&D
- Work with instruments that are used for oligonucleotide manufacturing such as LCMS, Spectrophotometer, PAGE and liquid handlers.
How will you get here?
- Ph.D. in organic or bioorganic chemistry with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the oligonucleotide synthesis, purification and QC analysis or 3 years of oligonucleotide manufacturing in industrial environment.
- Experience in the synthesis of DNA/RNA/modified oligonucleotides that differs in various lengths as wells as scales with or without fluorescent dyes, their downstream processing such as HPLC purification and various QC methods to analyze them.
- Prior experience with oligonucleotide manufacturing equipment such as synthesizers, HPLC, spectrophotometer, liquid handlers, etc.
- Preferred experience: An understanding of Thermo Fisher Scientifics productivity policy and a knowledge and understanding on Pleasanton's change management process.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Passion for driving improvement and leading change
- High ethical standards to support a professional business code of conduct
- Must have strong interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate processes, timelines and schedules clearly.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Must be capable of multi-tasking and being flexible to meet changing priorities.
- Must be highly organized and have strong project management skills.
- Maintain confidentiality of laboratory data and procedures
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To Apply, please click the following link: https://thermofisher.contacthr.com/82438213
Apply on company website