Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $35 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Our incredible technologies within AIG make a real difference to our customers and support our mission. We enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are protecting our cities, ensuring the availability of clean drinking water or monitoring the safety of our food supply, they all have a common goal – providing test data that allows for the right decisions to be made. Our customers are the focus of everything we do and we provide them the instruments, equipment, software and services to do what they do best. AIG is a global business and includes roughly 10,000 colleagues around the world. More specifically the Sr. Staff Scientist role is part of the Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Life Science Division located in San Jose, CA. At this site, we offer customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments and software services that support customers within proteomics, clinical research, forensic toxicology, pharmaceutical, biotech, food safety, and environmental market segments.
How will you make an impact?
This Staff Scientist opportunity is part of the Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry division which delivers market-leading diagnostics solutions. Our solutions help customers advance science, become more efficient, and improve their bottom lines. Our offerings shape the lab of the future by accelerating innovation and driving productivity. In short, it is our goal to make labs work the way laypeople think they do -- with cloud-connected, instantaneous information, available seamlessly to scientists across the lab. This role will contribute to the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher Scientific's position as the leader in mass spectrometry in our San Jose, CA facility.
What will you do?
- As part of the Hybrid Instrumentation Group, conduct leading-edge research and development with our Quadrupole, Ion Trap and Orbitrap mass analyzers
- Develop Charge Detection Mass Spectrometry techniques using Orbitrap mass analyzers
- Provide guidance and leadership to mechanical, electrical and software engineers in order to design prototypes and new products
- Investigate and explore new ideas and concepts by defining experiments, building, debugging and characterizing prototype instruments in order to verify proof of principle
- Test and verify new products and product improvements
- Participate in cross-functional teams including marketing, product support and operations personnel
- Maintain substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories, contributing to scientific literature and conferences
- Bachelor's degree with 8+ years of experience in a product development lab designing and developing analytical instrumentation; or 6 years of experience with a Master's degree; or a PhD with 3 years of experience; or equivalent experience
- Practical knowledge of ion optics, quadrupole mass filter and ion trap technologies, and high vacuum systems
- Solid programming skills (C, C++, Python, Lua)
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills
- Capable of working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to travel (10%)
- Minimum three (3) years of experience working in the field of mass spectrometry, preferably in an R&D capacity within an academic or industry setting designing and developing analytical instrumentation preferred
- Experience with Real Time Instrument Control preferred
- Experience with Charge Detection Mass Spectrometry preferred
- Ability to troubleshoot electronic circuits preferred
- Experience in the analysis of mass spectrometry data preferred
- Working knowledge of ion trajectory simulation software (SIMION or CPO) preferred
Our global team of more than 90,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Apply on company website