When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
The Technical Applications Scientist will be a part of the global Forensic Science Applications Group (FSAG) tasked with globally supporting forensic laboratories through technical issues and inquiries, representing the global needs of forensic/HID customers during product and communication development, and providing insight into continuous quality improvement. The Technical Applications Scientist's primary responsibility will be to provide specialized support for HID customers across the portfolio of Thermo Fisher Scientific HID products, predominantly in North America. This individual will secondarily support FSAG functions critical to the global HID business which includes global technical troubleshooting, communication development and review, new product development, and internal and external trainings on new products.
What will you do?
- Provide world class technical support to HID customers in North America via telephone, email, or on-site.
- Work independently to provide solutions to customer inquiries or complaints and track cases to closure.
- Partner with cross-functional teams (including but not limited to the FAS, Product Management, R&D, Product Assurance, HID Professional Services, and Global Training teams) to expedite, remove barriers, and drive cases to resolution.
- Submit all HID technical/quality related product replacement requests, through gathering appropriate approvals and coordinating returns.
- Assess customer issues with a technical mindset to triage and escalate appropriately.
- Demonstrate judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with internal and external customers as well as the ability to handle confidential and/or proprietary information.
- Construct, contribute to and edit technical customer letters and marketing materials ensuring the messaging is tailored and relevant to the target forensic customers and markets by leveraging forensic expertise and deep end user experience and knowledge.
- Provide subject matter expertise to FSAG, providing insight into the customer prospective during the Product Commercialization Process (PCP) for products within the New Product Initialization Process (NPI).
- Identify and communicate areas of product improvement through extensive technical engagement with customers and internal field-based teams.
- Deliver technical presentations at scientific meetings and promotional events and active participation of technical literature that supports the use of HID products.
- Identify areas of continuous improvement in HID products, services, or applications thorough customer interactions and efficiently communicate this information.
- Identify opportunities to improve HID technical support and delight our customers.
- Foster regular communication channels and maintain close working relationships with global support teams, FSAG colleagues, and other HID team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How will you get there?
B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology, chemistry, or related discipline
- Minimum of 3 years working in a forensic DNA laboratory
- Prior technical support or customer service experience with a track record of success in technical troubleshooting and customer support
- Prior Rapid experience a benefit but not required
- Prior project or case management experience a benefit but not required
- Understanding of the forensic DNA laboratory environment, workflow and product portfolio
- Proficiency in the interpretation of forensic DNA analysis results and familiarity with challenges faced by forensic DNA analysts
- Technical proficiency and excellent analytical skills, with demonstrated expertise across the forensic DNA analysis workflow utilizing Applied Biosystems kits, instruments and software
- Experience in delivering technical training, and conveying scientific principles
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Customer first attitude and approach
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to drive projects or cases to successful closure, holding self and others accountable for action items
- Highly energetic, enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Detail oriented, analytical, data driven, and ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to build relationships across different business functions and business units
- Comfortable with making decisions with some level of uncertainty
- Passionate about challenges, problem solving, and learning new things
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, optimism and a “can do” attitude
- Ability to present to all levels of an organization internally and externally
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and communication skills
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Keenly aware of markets, trends, and competitors
- Ability to drive business processes or change opportunities that lead to efficiency improvements or other benefits for the business.
- 25% or greater travel (domestic and international) is required on periodic basis.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website