IHA has an exciting opportunity for a Board Certified Internal Medicine physician to join the Hospitalist program as the Site Medical Director of Hospital Services located in Oakland County, Michigan.
The IHA Hospital Medicine Site Medical Director (SMD) serves as the physician leader for the Hospitalist Program primarily responsible for day-to-day operations of the Program. The selected candidate will work with the rest of the leadership team to provide Physician and APP support that is aligned with the IHA Hospital Medicine vision. The IHA SMD has joint responsibility with the Practice Manager for overseeing the clinical and administrative aspects of the hospital medicine practice at St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital. This includes accountability for clinical quality of care, patient satisfaction, staff and provider satisfaction, productivity, revenue enhancement, managed care performance, recruitment, and assuring adequate patient access. In conjunction with the Practice Manager, the IHA SMD will also share accountability for practice performance goals and metrics, and for providing leadership for both practice providers and staff. The IHA SMD monitors and leads daily operational activities to maintain service excellence and efficiencies of the Hospital Medicine Services.
The successful candidate will be board certified and have a minimum of three years of experience practicing in a hospital based group practice setting. A valid, active State of Michigan license is also required.
Interested candidates should have strong personal communication skills, an appreciation of (or willingness to learn about) financial issues, and a strategic orientation towards customer service are prerequisites for success. In addition, an orientation towards collaboratively problem solving by including providers and staff in efforts to continually improve all areas of quality.
The IHA SMD will support the IHA medical group, the Hospital, Division Head, and the Hospital Medicine Division in the following:
- Acts as a mentor and role model for Division providers in providing quality patient centered care and fulfilling the expectations as outlined in the Hospitalist job description.
- Encourages Hospitalists input and coaches the implementation of improvements concerning the day-to-day care delivery within the hospital. Helps design and improve workflows within hospital medicine to facilitate provider compliance and effectiveness in meeting quality, safety, and utilization objectives.
- Strives to build a hospital environment promoting trust and collegiality through healthy working relations with the hospitals medical staff.
- Serve as the Physician Lead on all schedule matters in consultation with the Practice Manager and the Division Head of Hospital Services.
- Assists with Physician and APP Recruitment.
- Works with Practice Manager, to ensure staffing levels are maintained to enable optimal care delivery.
- Works collaboratively with the Emergency Department, Nursing, Sub-specialty providers, hospital leadership and other teams in enhancing delivery of patient care and patient experience of care on alignment with the vision of the Hospital Medicine Program.
- Helps design and oversee quality, safety, and utilization initiatives for implementation by hospitalists. Defined areas include, but not limited to:
- Geographic patient assignment and IDR coordination
- Coordination of care for patients outside geographic teams
- Implementing standardized hand-off procedures amongst providers
- Overseeing resource utilization for the Hospital Medicine Service
- Ensuring provider understanding of day-to-day expectations and logistics
- Works to advocate for efficient utilization of hospital resources.
- Works with Practice Manager to schedule and effectively lead monthly provider meetings for physicians and APPs.
- Meets regularly with Division Head and Practice Manager to review program performance against financial and quality targets.
- Meets at appropriate frequency with Associate Division Head for Clinical Quality and Safety to develop priorities, goals, track progress and develop action plans. Participates in establishing Quality Metrics for the practice.
- Responsible overseeing new provider on-boarding, developing mechanism for follow up with individual providers at 30, 90 and 180 days of starting, and ongoing as required.
- Responsible for oversight of OPPE and FPPE for Hospital Medicine providers at the practice.
- Work with practice hospital medicine providers individually to provide feedback and develop work plans for those not meeting threshold performance standards.
- Helps review and address hospitalist involved VOICE complaints to evaluate whether there are any physician-specific issues that need to be addressed (for example, acts which are felt to be reckless or malevolent).
- Assists and contributes to the performance reviews of Hospitalists as well as APPs that are part of the service.
- Assumes additional duties as required.
This is an excellent opportunity for an Administrative physician to join a large multispecialty group in southeast Michigan.
An excellent compensation and benefits package is available for the right candidate including:
- Competitive base rate and compensation plan
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Benefits; 403b, 457
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Profession Malpractice Coverage with Tail Coverage
ABOUT THE FACILITY
IHA is one of the best and largest multi-specialty groups in Michigan. IHA employs more than 1,600 staff members, which includes more than 800 providers consisting of: physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and midwives in approximately 70 practice locations across southeast Michigan, including 36 Specialties. IHA provides high-quality medical care and excellent service to nearly 485,000 active patients. For more information about IHA, visit www.ihacares.com.
Oakland County, Michigan - Named for its beautiful oak trees, Oakland County offers a blend of big city, suburban, and rural lifestyles. Oakland County is recognized as having Michigans second highest population with a residential population of more than 68,000 and has continued to grow since its inception over 175 years ago. Located north of Detroit, Oakland County is part of the nations seventh largest metropolitan area and is home to 39 cities and 14 townships. Today, residents have access to 30 downtown areas, nearly 90,000 acres of natural settings, several entertainment and sports venues, plus countless opportunities to achieve a high quality of life. This area is also home to several institutions of higher education, well-known private schools, and exemplary public schools.
Apply on company website