Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Ting is a division of Tucows, a quiet, but very successful, twenty-year-old global Internet services company. From its humble beginnings as a software sharing platform, Tucows is now the world's second largest domain registrar and provider of wholesale Internet services, and through its brand, Ting, is revolutionizing mobile and Internet access in the U.S.
We are investing millions in building and operating Fiber networks and partnering with progressive towns across the US to change what people expect from their Internet service provider. We're growing rapidly, customers are loving the speed, fast symmetrical Gigabit fiber internet, and the customer support we offer.
We're a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured. Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.That's where you come in.
About the Opportunity:
As a Backend Engineer, you will play a major role in reinventing our core platform, development processes and tools. You'll be part of a growing team that is building our next generation fiber platform. The platform offers a robust API for provisioning and managing hardware on our fiber network and integrates with many other services and tools that power our business. These capabilities allow us to differentiate and scale our Ting business.
Ideally, you have notable experience developing software and are good at using languages like Python to implement features in distributed systems. You are comfortable working at scale on dozens of interdependent components across multiple environments. You are also capable of navigating large codebases and uncovering the complexity in existing systems. You are open to giving and receiving feedback, participating in code reviews and design discussions. In addition to the above, you are forward-thinking and able to remain effective when priorities shift.
What you'll be doing:
In the first 30 days:
- Gain deep understanding of our existing platforms and platform
- Design and implement features of growing complexity and ensure quality through writing automated tests
In the first 3 months:
- Contribute to technical design and architecture discussions
- Participate in code reviews and ensure that development standards are adhered to
In the first year:
- Share knowledge and act as a trusted mentor to junior team members.
- Own projects or features from conception to release
- Balance the need to ship code quickly with the need to make sound technical decisions.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Experience building microservices in Python
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Experience delivering highly available and reliable systems
- Strong system design and architecture skills
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- May be required to be part of an on-call rotation
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party systems
- Familiarity with container technologies like Docker, Nomad or Kubernetes
- Experience building event driven systems
- Familiarity with Kafka or similar technologies
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Exposure to multiple programming languages
- Knowledge of fiber networks a plus
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please advise us, so we can provide suitable accommodation.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
Apply on company website