Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we're the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We're doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We're a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity: This position is dedicated to the outside plant construction team and reports to the Fiber Deployment Manager. The primary responsibility of this position is to perform accurate locating of underground utilities within a designated work area.
The Fiber Outside Plant Technician regularly performs installation and maintenance of the Ting fiber network to include construction elements such as conduit, fiber, splice enclosures, cabinets, and utility locating. OSP Techs share responsibility with local contractors for both safety and quality within the market.
The role includes:
- Driving a company vehicle and always considering Safety First
- Using plans, maps, observational skills, and locating equipment to accurately locate underground facilities in response to 811 excavation notices
- Performing installation and testing of our fiber network and maintenance dispatches, as needed, to deliver Gigabit Internet services to both residential and commercial customers
- Collaborating with the OSP team for fiber restoration efforts.
- Ensuring all materials for are properly checked out from inventory
- Proactively review the day's schedule and assist in maintaining work efficiency
- Participate in local marketing events
- Conduct site surveys
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Attend meetings
- All other duties assigned by management
- Dedication to working safely in compliance with OSHA regulations and company policies
- Effective interpersonal skills required
- Extraordinary customer service skills required
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Experience locating underground utilities preferred
- Experience reading CAD and GIS files preferred
- Outside construction experience desired Telecom, Cable or data wiring experience desired
- Experience with FTTH networks, including splicing and terminating desired
- Able and willing to work indoors and outdoors in all types of weather
- Proficient with hand tools, power tools, test equipment and ladders
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
Apply on company website