Join UChicago Medicine, as an Advanced Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) within the Robotic Cardiac Surgery department. UChicago Medicine has been a national leader of robotic cardiac surgical procedures for more than five years. We house some of the most experienced surgeons with multi-vessel totally endoscopic robotic coronary bypass (TECAB) and developed the Connector TECAB procedure. TECAB is a highly advanced approach to coronary bypass surgery that avoids opening the chest. By performing robotic and minimally invasive cardiac surgery, our surgeons are helping patients with heart disease return to active, full lives. At the core of our heart surgery program is a team of internationally known cardiac surgeons who are leaders in the field and are often among the first to perform groundbreaking procedures.
As an Advanced Practice Provider, you will be responsible for comprehensive direct patient care management. In this role, the APP will manage a caseload of patients and exercise autonomous decision making in the assessment, diagnosis and initiation of delegated medical treatments. The scope of practice includes family support, discharge planning, staff education, consultation and research. The APP will utilize advance practice skills obtained through the completion of a formal provider program. These skills include advanced levels of assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation of care. The APP is also responsible for planning, organizing, and directing patient care efforts in collaboration with medical and surgical physicians and other team members.
Essential Job Functions
- Gathers pertinent information systematically and skillfully from all sources: history, diagnostic tests, comprehensive physical examination, and psycho-social assessments.
- Differentiates normal and abnormal variations for all body systems.
- Assesses patient and family adaptation, coping skills and the need for crisis or other intervention.
- Accurately interprets diagnostic tests.
- Analyzes multiple sources of data in making clinical judgments and in determining the effectiveness of a plan of care.
- Develops problem lists with associated differential diagnosis.
- Identifies educational needs of the patient and family and assists with teaching.
- Incorporates assessment findings into a plan to direct patient care.
- Formulates a plan of care in collaboration with the patient, family, physician, nursing staff and other member of the health care team which incorporates health care maintenance, discharge and follow-up care.
- Plans and implements appropriate pharmacological therapies.
- Accurately and appropriately performs routine diagnostic and therapeutic techniques according to established protocols and standardized procedures for nurse practitioners.
- Initiates referrals based on patient and family need.
- Seeks appropriate consultation dependent upon patient health care needs.
- Accurately presents and documents the database, impression and plan of care.
- Promotes, has knowledge of and utilizes appropriate patient care protocol relating to the physical, psychosocial and developmental needs of adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients.
- Participates in research projects in the practice area.
Nurse Practitioner (NP) Required Qualifications
- Master's of Science in Nursing
- Current and/or eligibility for State of Illinois RN and APN licensure/registration
- Certified as a Nurse Practitioner by the American Nurse's Credentialing Center or American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Ability to qualify for Illinois and DEA prescribing numbers
Physician Assistant (PA) Required Qualifications
- Completion of an accredited (Physician Assistant) educational program
- Certification by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Current and/or eligibility for State of Illinois licensure/registration
- Certification in ACLS
- Experience using automated IS including but not limited to: keyboards, computer terminals, telephones, battery-operated devices, heat-copying devices, and automated dispensing machines
- Job Type/FTE: 1.0
- Shift: Rotating
- Unit/Department: Cardiac Surgery
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Must comply with UCMC's COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Apply on company website