Join UChicago Medicine, as a Transplant Nurse (RN) in our Post Liver Transplant Program.
As a Transplant Nurse (RN), you will provide and coordinate the care provided to transplant patients in the post op and inpatient post-transplant phase of care and participate in the multidisciplinary patient care services team.
In this role, the Transplant Nurse is vital in the delivery of patient care and in participation of the development of strategies to improve patient outcomes, satisfaction with service and cost effectiveness by decreasing length of stay and readmission rates in both Abdominal and Lung programs. This role is accountable to patients and families' education, discharge preparation during inpatient post-transplant phase of care, and scheduling of all post hospitalization medical procedures and appointments after discharge.
UChicago's state of the art Transplant Institute that provides exceptional, life-saving care to our patients and incredible career opportunities for providers and team members.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides patient education and pertinent transplant information to post-transplant recipients.
- Coordinates meetings with the nurses and patients to review the treatment plans
- Monitors patient progress and answers questions related to their post-operative course
- Participates in discharge planning with multidisciplinary team
- Evaluate patient compliance of immunosuppressive regimen
- Orders medication bags and interfaces with transplant financial coordinators to assure appropriate authorization of patients
- Obtains appropriate insurance authorization and/or referrals for medications, diagnostic tests and procedures
- Provide patient education to patients after discharge for reinforcement by contacting every patient after discharge
- Works directly with the multidisciplinary care team and coordinates post-transplant care of transplant recipients.
- Coordinates scheduling of all post hospitalization medical procedures, diagnostic testing, clinic visits, and medicine changes deemed necessary by physician /provider and/or protocol.
- Communicates with physicians concerning patient post-treatment regimens and related issues.
- Notifies transplant team members of post-transplant admissions, including admitting personnel, transplant resident, referring physician / provider, and patient placement center.
- Coordinates patient admission to hospital when deemed necessary by physician / provider, and or protocol. Provides ongoing post-transplant care maintenance.
- Under physician / provider supervision, assists patients with medication management, prescription refills, and authorizations as required.
- Coordinates data collection for post-transplant recipients. Completes United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) forms required post-transplant.
- Participates in patient-related consultations with physician staff as requested, including mandatory attendance at multidisciplinary meetings/rounds.
- Communicates with referring physician immediately post-transplant outpatient phase.
- BSN required
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois
- Must possess excellent decision-making and communication skills
- Must possess effective teaching skills in working with undergraduate and post-graduate nursing students, as well as good presentation skills
- Must possess basic computer skills
- Must be familiar with insurance coverage and managed care contracts as regards coverage for transplant patients and donors, if applicable
- Master's in Nursing preferred
- Preferred candidates will have five years' experience working with transplant patients
- A combination of transplant and other related nursing experience may be considered
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time
- Shift: Day, 8a.m-5:00p.m
- Unit/Department: Post Liver Transplant
- CBA Code: NNU
- Click here to learn more about UChicago Medicine
- Click here to learn more about our benefits
- Click here to explore other career opportunities at UChicago Medicine
Apply on company website