Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Anesthesia Technician II, Full-time, UChicago Medicine, Hyde Park, Illinois
We're hiring an Anesthesia Technician II for the Anesthesiology department at the University of Chicago Medicine in Hyde Park, Illinois!
Shift: Full-time, Evening, 2nd shift, 5 x 8-hour shifts per week, 2:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
The Anesthesia Technician II provides assistance to licensed anesthesia providers in various settings. In this role, you will support routine surgical cases by assisting in the preparation and maintenance of patient equipment, and anesthesia delivery systems, before and during anesthesia.
Anesthesia Technician II Essential Job Functions
- Cleans, collects and prepares anesthesia equipment at the start of each day
- Disinfects equipment and cleans and prepares the anesthesia machine prior to each case; may include: acquiring and setting up specialized equipment.
- Receives samples and performs analysis of venous and arterial blood for intra-operative patient management.
- Inventories, re-stocks, and reorders anesthesia supplies and equipment as needed.
- Maintains anesthesia workroom.
- Understands and follows the proper procedures in the storage, use and safe handling of bulk cylinder gases.
- Demonstrates understanding of the purpose, use, and care of patient monitors related to the administration of anesthesia.
- Follows proper procedures in the use and operation of sterilizing equipment, i.e. Steris machine.
- Remains available to assist the anesthesia provider throughout the peri-operative period; is available to respond to urgent or emergent requests from anesthesia providers.
- Uses good hand-washing and aseptic technique, utilizes universal precautions: adheres to isolation procedures, keeps unit clean according to the Infection Control guidelines, removes equipment from room when no longer in use.
- Disposes of all waste according to hospital procedures.
- Corrects and/or reports safety hazards to appropriate person.
- Knows location of all fire alarms, extinguishers and hoses.
- Demonstrates an understanding of fire, electrical, and explosion hazards in the operating rooms and remote locations.
- Handles spills and hazardous spills according to Hospital policy
- Practices “teamwork” to create a positive work environment.
- Strives to anticipate the needs of anesthesia team.
- Retains patient/family trust.
- Maintains a quiet, therapeutic and clean environment.
- Is aware of emergency procedures and any fire and safety guidelines for the area
- Takes responsibility to notify the supervisor immediately of any hazards, injuries, or faulty equipment, which might endanger others.
- Practices energy conservation and repairs or arranges for repair of any University of Chicago Hospitals property.
- Demonstrates understanding and correct application of aseptic technique.
- Sets up pressure transducers.
- Sets up Hot Line and tubing.
- Sets up Level I and tubing.
- Sets up IV's (mini-drip, standard tubing, blood set up, buretrol); also, differentiates amongst various types of IV solutions and possible applications for each.
- Demonstrates correct labeling technique for all work.
- Correctly places: ECG leads, BP cuff, and SPO2 monitoring device.
- Demonstrates ability to set up advanced airway equipment, including: fiberoptic video systems, Glidescopes, etc
- Performs other duties as requested by senior management.
- May perform Point of Care Testing (POCT) as needed.
Anesthesia Technician II Required Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year experience as an anesthesia technician is required.
- Basic Life Support certification required.
- Must demonstrate working knowledge of anesthesia department operations.
- Prior completion of department training program required.
Located in Historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is a not-for-profit integrated and academic health system of hospital and physician services, providing world class care since 1927. UChicago Medicine operates four hospitals and a state-of-the-art ambulatory-care facility located within a medical center campus of twenty interconnected buildings, along with several satellite facilities situated throughout Chicago's south suburbs. In addition, Ingalls Memorial Hospital is located outside of the main medical campus in Harvey, IL. Today, UChicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Division, including Ingalls Memorial Hospital encompass over 800 beds and employ nearly 12,000 people, which includes more than 800 attending physicians, 1100 residents and fellows, and 2,600 nurses.
UChicago Medicine's mission is to provide superior health care in a compassionate manner, ever mindful of each patient's dignity and individuality. UChicago Medicine has established a market identity “At the Forefront of Medicine”, and has consistently been able to attract a critical mass of talented physicians, healthcare professionals and staff to treat the most complex clinical problems. In recognition of this excellence, U.S. News and World Report rank many of our programs as among the best in the United States.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website