Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Behavioral Health Coach
As an integral member of the Center for Transformative Care, the Behavioral Health Coach assists in the integration of behavioral health in the primary care setting and is supportive of other Center for Transformative Care initiatives.
Consistent with a team-based care model, the Behavioral Health Coach collaborates with all members of the interdisciplinary care team including providers in the primary care practice and consultative mental health disciplines to provide behavioral health management. The coach will work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team to implement evidence-based services for primary care patients utilizing tools and training from the IMPACT Collaborative Care model and University of Chicago Medicine resources.
This position requires a strong working knowledge of coaching techniques including motivational interviewing and behavioral activation as well as common mental health conditions, psychosocial issues and chronic diseases which impact overall health and wellbeing. Experience should include a minimum of two years of experience in a mental health setting or integrated primary care-behavioral health setting.
The Behavioral Health Coach should demonstrate prudent clinical judgment based on established professional standards and guidelines, effective problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and strong organizational and interpersonal skills experience with team-based care, creativity, flexibility, and the ability to multi-task.
Behavioral Health Coach Job Description
- Screen patients for behavioral health problems
- Assess patients for common mental health and substance abuse conditions.
- Identifies psychosocial, financial, legal, psychiatric or substance use issues that affect patient care management and collaborates with the team to support and facilitate the patient care process.
- Triage referrals from primary care clinicians to the consultative team
- Ensure systematic screening of adults for depression, using evidence-based screening tools.
- Effectively communicate treatment recommendations, assessment, and case recommendations to the referring primary care team.
- Facilitate discussion of treatment plan changes when patients are not improving.
- Support the primary care provider in outreach to established mental health providers for patients already engaged in treatment.
- Maintain registry of patients
- Actively facilitate patient engagement and follow-up in care.
- Provide education to patients using a variety of educational materials.
- Develop maintenance plan with patients to help ensure a healthy lifestyle once in remission.
- Provide, or facilitate outside referrals to community based mental health and community support services.
- Responsible for identifying available behavioral health and social support resources in our local community and helps build and maintain strong referral relationships with these providers.
- Documents relevant information in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties as required.
Behavioral Health Coach Qualifications
- Bachelors with two years of experience in a mental health setting or integrated primary care-behavioral health setting.
- Masters degree preferred in Social Work or Mental Health Counseling
- Two years of previous experience in a mental health setting preferred
- Experience with
- Motivational interviewing and coaching
- Behavioral activation
- Problem-solving therapy
- Depression and anxiety management
- Background or Familiarity with
- Addiction and substance abuse
- Management of patients with complex medical conditions
- Experience working with a variety of community agencies and resources preferred.
- Ability to work effectively in a complex fast-paced medical environment and multiple practice locations.
- Knowledge of specific medical/psychiatric illnesses, procedures and treatments.
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to set priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Comfort in working with health care computer systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with physicians and their staff in a physician practice setting.
- Competence in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Located in Historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is a not-for-profit integrated and academic health system of hospital and physician services, providing world class care since 1927. UChicago Medicine operates four hospitals and a state-of-the-art ambulatory-care facility located within a medical center campus of twenty interconnected buildings, along with several satellite facilities situated throughout Chicago's south suburbs. In addition, Ingalls Memorial Hospital is located outside of the main medical campus in Harvey, IL. Today, UChicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Division, including Ingalls Memorial Hospital encompass over 800 beds and employ nearly 12,000 people, which includes more than 800 attending physicians, 1100 residents and fellows, and 2,600 nurses.
UChicago Medicine's mission is to provide superior health care in a compassionate manner, ever mindful of each patient's dignity and individuality. UChicago Medicine has established a market identity “At the Forefront of Medicine”, and has consistently been able to attract a critical mass of talented physicians, healthcare professionals and staff to treat the most complex clinical problems. In recognition of this excellence, U.S. News and World Report rank many of our programs as among the best in the United States.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront,
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website