Bring Your Passion to the Forefront:
Manager Skilled Trades
Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, UChicago Medicine, in the role of Manager Skilled Trades.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing the day-to day operations of engineering and all skilled trades within the Medical Center. You will manage electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, energy, mechanical systems, fire safety, grounds, facility maintenance, emergency and preventative maintenance work. You must thoroughly understand electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems and have the ability to read prints, schematics, and technical literature. You will provide technical support to all trades personnel on a daily basis. Essential abilities will include managing plant operations, human resource issues, quality assurance, information and reporting, compliance, safety requirements, and operations.
- Directing, scheduling, and supervising operations of skilled trades' employees within assigned zones of the medical center. Planning work schedules, hours, areas of work and job duties to ensure adequate repair and maintenance service are provided to all areas of the medical center. Interviewing, selecting, evaluating and recommending termination of plant staff in accordance with hospital standards.
- Training/developing employees in established plant policies and procedures (including but not limited to utility systems & infrastructure). Promoting hospital's “CARE” standards. Ensuring staff receive appropriate coaching and correction in order to meet department expectations.
- Establishing and developing proactive relationships with internal customers and employees.
- Reviewing and authorizing time and attendance, purchase orders, work sheets, and reports turned in by trade staff.
- Reviewing and problem solving from printouts, computers, and alarm systems.
- Coordinating shutdowns and other types of disruptive service between departmental personnel and contractors. Ensuring that zone of responsibility is code compliant at all times. Managing operating budget for assigned cost centers.
- Monitoring staffing levels and expenditures of zone to ensure that financial goals are met. Supporting institutional and department goals and actively managing staff towards achievement of those goals.
- Consulting with purchasing or other internal parties regarding maintenance and service contracts and making appropriate recommendations. Assuring that contracted services are performed and billed in a cost effective manner. Obtaining estimates, bids and proposals on projects.
- Reviewing, updating, and maintaining the preventative maintenance program with staff to keep up required completion rates.
- Attending all required department meetings.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
You'll thrive in this position if you:
- Demonstrate PRIDE Values – you actively demonstrate UCMC values in your work and relationships. You encourage others to model the behaviors and proactively identify gaps.
- Develop Talent – you seek and use feedback and other sources of information to identify appropriate areas for developing skills and knowledge in self and others; attracts top talent within and outside the organization. You identify and participate in an appropriate variety of developmental activities. You work at achieving a mastery of technical and professional discipline. You put new knowledge, understanding and skill to use on the job; advances learning through continuous improvement; proactively teaches others; retains top talent.
- Promote Innovation – you combine ideas in a unique way or make connections between ideas that may appear to be different; explore situations from multiple perspectives, seek alternative ways to define problems. You are open to diverse thoughts and approaches by others. You test solutions, gather feedback on effectiveness, review impact on the results and modify appropriately to product expected results.
- Deliver Results – you identify issues, problems and opportunities; proactively recognize the need for improvement. You work with others to develop a sense of common purpose; understand different perspectives on issues; gathers and examines information available. You generate alternatives - Create relevant options, including financial and resource implications, for addressing problems and opportunities. You select appropriate action - Formulate clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. You commit to implementation and work with a sense of urgency and a bias for action to implement the decision.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (mechanical preferred) or equivalent years of experience coupled with knowledge in either electrical or HVAC field.
- Five years of experience in related position (preferably in healthcare, minimum of three years in a supervisory capacity).
- Demonstrated competency with computerized management systems and Microsoft Office.
- Experience in JCAHO, federal, state and local regulations related to position requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Electrical license (City of Chicago) preferred.
Why Join Us:
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website