Patient Appointment Coordinator II
This is a 743 Clerical Union position; bid dates are from 2/18/20-2/24/20.
**THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN BURR RIDGE, IL**
Shift: 40 hours per week (1.0) / 5 x 8-hour shifts / 1st shift (8:00am-5:00pm)
Grade: 743 Clerical Grade 10
UCMC is committed to a patient-centric, efficient health care delivery system that focuses on quality, safety, service, and operational excellence. The Ambulatory Patient Appointment Coordinator II (APAC II) will be assigned to various specialty scheduling hubs providing coverage where needed. The APAC II is responsible for answering and responding to inquiries received through the main contact channels of the ambulatory practices. The APAC II may also serve in the role as a subject matter expert (SME) for a defined service line. The Ambulatory Patient Appointment Coordinator II will obtain, verify, and input demographic, insurance and referring physician information as required, document messages electronically using appropriate medical terminology, triage calls per protocol and assist callers in a manner consistent with the Ideal Patient Experience approach and philosophy. The Ambulatory Patient Appointment Coordinator II will be accountable for achieving performance and service targets and metrics.
- In alignment with scheduling standard work, greets callers warmly and uses the standard greeting including name and name of the practice being supported.
- Responds to customer inquiries appropriately per queue currently being supported and escalates any issues for expeditious resolution.
- Obtains and inputs demographic, insurance information, and referring physician information for new patient calls. Schedules the appointment per practice protocols being supported using computerized scheduling systems. Inquiries to see if the patient has special needs and documents appropriately.
- Assists supervisor with gathering of metrics for MDI huddles and assists with training and mentoring of new Patient Appointment Coordinators under the direction of the Supervisor Specialty Call Center.
- Verifies, and where necessary, inputs changes in demographic, insurance, and other information for return patient appointment calls.
- When serving as a SME in a defined service line, serves as a liaison to the functional area from which they obtained their expertise. The SME will serve as the “go-to” person for assistant and up-to-date information on a specialty and will spend scheduled time with providers and others in clinic to maintain and grow service line knowledge as well as foster relationships.
- Follows appropriate protocols of queue being supported or guidelines and uses computerized scheduling systems to investigate scheduling opportunities if the patient voices discontent with schedules offered. Works with others if necessary to determine if an accommodation can be made in order to provide patient with an earlier appointment.
- Documents all messages electronically using appropriate medical terminology via the In Basket functionality and forwards to the appropriate clinical provider and queue being supported.
- High School Diploma required
- Two years of experience as a Patient Appointment Coordinator working in a multi-specialty practice environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with patients, physicians, management, staff and other customers
- Exceptional customer service skills including the ability to use independent thinking, sound judgment and creativity when resolving customer issues
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and effectively handle challenging situations
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Basic office skills including 35 wpm typing and 4500 key stokes an hour
- Kowledge of basic and specialty specific medical terminology
- Ability to accurately and efficiently enter alpha numeric data on screen
- Ability to use personal computers and select software applications including Epic
- Successful completion of Cadence Scheduling system training and competencies
- Associate or Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Knowledge of specialty specific medical terminology
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront,
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website