Perfusionist, Cardiac Surgery Department, Full-time, Rotating Shift (with on call requirement), University of Chicago Medicine, Hyde Park, Illinois
We're hiring a Perfusionist in Cardiac Surgery at the University of Chicago Medical Center in Hyde Park, Illinois!Note: This position includes a sign-on bonus of $15,000.
The practice of perfusion is defined as those functions necessary for the support, treatment, measurement or supplementation of the cardiopulmonary and circulatory system of the patient.
A Perfusionist is a skilled person, qualified by academic and clinical education, who operates extracorporeal circulation equipment during any medical situation where it is necessary to support or replace the patient's cardiopulmonary/circulatory function and ensures the proper management of physiologic functions by monitoring the necessary variables.
Perfusionist Essential Job Functions
- Assessment, selection, assembly and management of cardiopulmonary bypass hardware and software and related technologies
- Assessment, selection, assembly and management of auto transfusion hardware and software and technologies
- Assessment, selection, and management of laboratory analyzers and their software
- Assessment and interpretation of laboratory quality control
- Assessment and interpretation of preop patient's clinical status using patient history, patient laboratory analysis and patient catheterization report
- Assessment and interpretation of patient's medical status on CPB using but not limited to laboratory analysis, hemodynamics, fluid balance, oxygen transfer, and heat transfer
- The safe performance and / or management of;
- Counter pulsation
- Circulatory support ventricular assistance
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Blood conservation techniques / auto transfusion
- Myocardial preservation
- Anticoagulation and hematologic monitoring / analysis
- Physiological monitoring / analysis
- Blood gas and blood chemistry monitoring / analysis
- Induction of hypothermia / hyperthermia with reversal
- Administration of medications, blood components and anesthetic agents via the extracorporeal circuit
- Isolated limb / organ perfusion
- Electrophysiological analysis
- Surgical Assistance
- Access for dialysis during CBP
- Documentation associated with described duty
- Performs other duties as requested by senior management
Perfusionist Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree required
- Either certification by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion and active Illinois State Licensure OR a graduate of a perfusion training program accredited by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion plus certification/licensure eligibility required
- Experience in Adult/Pediatric CPB, Organ Transplant, and Artificial Heart Assist Systems is preferred
Located in Historic Hyde Park, UChicago Medicine is a not-for-profit integrated and academic health system of hospital and physician services, providing world class care since 1927. UChicago Medicine operates four hospitals and a state-of-the-art ambulatory-care facility located within a medical center campus of twenty interconnected buildings, along with several satellite facilities situated throughout Chicago's south suburbs. In addition, Ingalls Memorial Hospital is located outside of the main medical campus in Harvey, IL. Today, UChicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Division, including Ingalls Memorial Hospital encompass over 800 beds and employ nearly 12,000 people, which includes more than 800 attending physicians, 1100 residents and fellows, and 2,600 nurses.
UChicago Medicine's mission is to provide superior health care in a compassionate manner, ever mindful of each patient's dignity and individuality. UChicago Medicine has established a market identity “At the Forefront of Medicine”, and has consistently been able to attract a critical mass of talented physicians, healthcare professionals and staff to treat the most complex clinical problems. In recognition of this excellence, U.S. News and World Report rank many of our programs as among the best in the United States.
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront,
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website