UDR, Inc. is hiring a District Service Manager to join our team in Boston, MA~North Shore. This position oversees the maintenance operations of multiple apartment communities located in the North Shore area of Boston, MA.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Promotes the highest efficiency and customer service level of all service functions throughout the assigned portfolio in an Area. Oversees service responsibilities for multiple communities. Provides on the job training, coordinates maintenance systems technical training and determines solutions to service team and technical/mechanical issues. Works with the VP-Property Operations, Area Director, Regional Managers/District Managers and Asset Quality to make recommendations and analyze plans, projects and budgets.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to a Regional Manager/District Manager or Area Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Service Managers, Service Technician(s), and Senior Service Technician(s)
1. Assist in the development of the service budget and financial resources necessary to accommodate current and future maintenance and repair projects by analyzing market trends, financial reports, employee staffing levels, and organizational growth and work within approved budget guidelines.
2. Assist Regional Manager with monitoring and allocating Turnover, CapEx Funds, and R&M Budgets.
3. Negotiate, develop, and execute service contracts with assistance from Corporate Purchasing.
4. Manage and negotiate vendor contracts, contractor's schedules and work completed inspections for assigned communities.
5. Ensure current and future maintenance and repair projects do not exceed approved budgeted expenses.
6. Provide oversight of safety awareness and safety reports.
7. Conduct inspections on Turns, Pool, Curb Appeal, Shop, Landscaping/grounds, amenities, Turn Process, Review Shop Report, Safety Inspection, and safety compliance to ensure that they reflect and represent the high quality of the community.
8. Work with Regional Managers and the Area Directors to identify revenue enhancing and expense saving potential ROI Projects.
9. Ensure preventive maintenance programs are reviewed and related work completed.
10. Monitor and set time and quality standards for service request and apartment turns.
11. Identify resources and keep informed of local, state, and municipal building requirements and landlord tenant affaires relating to R&M and Capital Investments.
12. Coordinate technical training seminars for service associates and monitor training program completion rates for required and RISK and Safety courses.
13. Conduct CFC training and exams as needed.
14. Review Casualty Loss Claims and look for ways to prevent future losses and minimize costs of existing Casualty Loss Claims.
15. Develop and maintain emergency action procedures for the properties.
16. Hire and train new staff and develop staff to maximize potential including broad level development plans for Service Managers. Manage schedules for maintenance personnel to ensure proper coverage of portfolio and timely resolution of work orders.
17. Supervise direct reporting staff in accordance with overall company policy.
18. Monitor staff performance including performance reviews and address performance problems through corrective action and dismissal.
19. Approve time records and requests for time off as needed.
20. Assist direct reporting staff to address and resolve concerns or complaints involving job duties and job descriptions, performance standards, relations with coworkers, relations with supervisors and managers.
21. Ensure leadership style creates a productive, motivated, informed, inspired, engaged and goal-oriented team.
22. Comply with all Company policies and procedures related to employment.
23. Commit to Living the UDR Values each day in every action taken when executing the essential functions of the job.
24. Perform other duties as assigned or as necessary.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: Knowledge of organizational and community policies and procedures. Knowledge and understanding of business concepts and research principles, processes, and techniques. Knowledge of the principles of strategic business decision-making. Ability to apply policies and procedures to solve Company issues.
Demonstrated understanding of overall property service management. Demonstrate the ability to proactively prioritize needs and effectively manage resources. Demonstrated experience and expertise in project planning and management; in analysis of operations for the purpose of proposing innovative solutions to problems; and in organizing, writing, and editing information. Must know and follow the Fair Housing laws. Strong personnel management skills. Knowledge of fiscal management.
Demonstrated ability to monitor training programs and identify and provide one-on-one training as needed. Ensures that minimum training requirements are met for all service teams in the area. Mentors and coaches the area Service Managers.
Ability to develop and prepare business analysis and plans. Ability to exercise initiative, problem solving and decision-making skills. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and contracts. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, exercise sound judgment and clearly communicates findings and advice. Ability to travel, when applicable.
Ability to motivate, develop, and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job. Ability to apply and teach the principles and practices of work leadership and management. Ability to motivate the community team and manage their performance in accordance with company policies, values, and business practices.
Proven exceptional communication skills both written and verbal. Performs duties that require considerable initiative, independent judgment, and strong communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with residents, vendors, contractors, Company managers, and associates. Ability to respond to common or technical inquiries or complaints from subordinates, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to quickly develop strong internal working relationships.
Skilled in the use of the internet, spreadsheets, and word processing software. Ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Some bending, stooping and stretching. Occasionally lifting items weighing up to 50 lbs. Sensory capability to detect odors and hear sounds necessary to detect and diagnose machinery. Requires normal range of eyesight. Ability to physically access exterior and interior parts of the community and amenities and be able to climb ladders and access small crawlspaces. Regular and consistent attendance on the job is an essential function.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Frequent exposure to outside elements where temperature, weather, odors, and/or landscape may be unpleasant and/or hazardous. Flexible schedules with occasional evening and regular weekend work. Ability to travel extensively, when needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High School Diploma, or equivalent, is required.
2. Experience in service management for residential properties, rental operations, or related business operations is required.
3. Minimum of five to seven years' experience with repair techniques which could include mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and/or pool maintenance is prefered.
4. Minimum of five to seven years' supervisory experience.
5. EPA certified preferred.
6. Certification in Chlorine, Fluorine, and Carbon (CFC) required for diagnosing, repairing, and maintaining equipment required for some properties and preferred for all properties.
7. Must have and maintain a valid driver's license unless otherwise noted.
Apply on company website