Provides limited patient care, support, and observation services in accordance with established policies and procedures, and may be directed by the nurse or physician, to assure that the highest degree of quality patient care is maintained at all times. Must routinely perform the UPMC nursing core responsibilities for Care Attendants: observation, hygiene (bath and oral care), bed making, transfer assistance, and comfort measures.
- Provides observation and direct patient care as directed by the RN including, but not limited to activities of daily living such as bathing, feeding, transporting, toileting, and ambulating, as well as turning and repositioning patients.
- Maintains an environment conducive to patient safety and recovery including, but not limited to completing safety checks, keeping the patient room clean and organized, cleaning patient-specific equipment, changing bed linens, and emptying linen hampers.
- Acquires and distributes supplies and equipment to facilitate patient care delivery including, but not limited to, performing messenger functions, ordering, charging/crediting supplies, setting up patient care equipment within the scope of the Care Attendant position, and stocking patient rooms and unit supply areas.
- Delivers patient nourishments, fills water pitchers, and distributes patient mail as applicable if not directly with patient.
- Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status.
- Completes clerical functions as needed by department.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction.
- Identifies and communicates learning needs to the direct supervisor.
- Takes action to improve knowledge, skills, and performance.
- Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities, as needed.
- Participates in self-review as requested by the direct supervisor.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department.
- Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges.
- Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department.
- Establishes appropriate and effective communication strategies.
- Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships.
- Contributes to universal patient activities including, but not limited to, responding to telephones, assisting with meal trays, and accompanying patients during transport.
- Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions and understands policies and procedures for blood borne pathogen exposure.
- Strictly adheres to all policies and practices relative to patient care and hospital-related information.
- Responds within the scope of the Care Attendant role to emergent situations.
- Provide one-on-one companionship/supervision with patients.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Demonstrates understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal violence, and impairment in the workplace.
- Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation, and commitment to patients and colleagues.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- If no previous patient care training, successful completion of UPMC care attendant (sitter) training program or Nursing Student that has completed one Clinical Rotation.
- Knowledge of body mechanics and transfer techniques.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMC's Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life — because we believe that you're at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.Our Values
At UPMC, we're driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.
Apply on company website