75 South Hwy 83 McCook Nebraska 69001-8569
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
This is an individual contributor position responsible for preparing products and materials for the galvanizing process by hanging angle on spreader bars, staging tubular products, and preparing small parts for galvanizing. The Material Handler will also be responsible for inspecting and identifying production fixtures, chains, and hooks to ensure proper repair or discarding of unsafe items. Incumbent will also hand wire small to medium sized parts to racks for pickling or galvanizing, pull and place chains and ropes around steel bundles for racking, and move pieces of steel by hand from different locations in the plant and yard. The Material Handler also performs paddling functions to enhance the quality level of the various galvanized products using air guns to blow off zinc needles. Additional duties include using air or electric powered tools to help prepare steel for pickling or galvanizing, assisting in general plant clean up and housekeeping, and working safely with the required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Follow procedures and work instructions in a safe and efficient manner including: hanging angle on spreader bars, staging of tubular products (i.e. pipe, ), and preparing various small parts for the galvanizing process to include custom products
- Communicating potential problems with material to the Crew leader or Shift Supervisor before the material is galvanized
- Inspect and identify production fixtures, chains, and hooks to ensure proper repair or discarding of unsafe items
- Pull and place chains and ropes around steel bundles for racking
- Move pieces of steel up to 50 pounds by hand from different locations in the plant and yard
- Perform paddling functions at the kettle, including the use of air guns
- Operate air and electric powered tools on black and galvanized steel
- Perform postoperative cleanup on all galvanized parts, including packaging and banding outgoing material
- Operate forklift as needed
- Assist in general plant clean up and housekeeping
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate
- The ability to read and follow written and verbal instructions
- The ability to accurately read a tape measure
- The ability to lift, push, pull, and carry up to 50 pounds
- Six months of previous experience with hand tools and gauges including impact wrenches, air grinders, drills, taps, and mill gauges
- The ability to communicate problems or needs to departmental supervision
- The ability to communicate and interact with coworkers in a positive manner
- The ability to pay attention to detail and follow work instructions
- High awareness for safety
- The ability to work 1-2 shifts of overtime per week
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Apply on company website