15000 Valmont Plaza Omaha Nebraska 68154
We're Here to Move the World Forward.
Valmont impacts millions of people around the world every day, yet they might not realize the many ways. Our technology is helping feed the growing population, supplying the world with more reliable energy and access to renewables, enhancing connectivity in remote and urban locations to create a sustainable future and so much more. Simply put, Valmont is advancing agricultural productivity and reimagining vital infrastructure to make life better.
Join a Fortune 1000 company that respects hard work, honors diversity and invests in our employees as we focus on creating the world of tomorrow, today. We are the modern workforce. Are you ready to move the world forward? Apply now.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
The Welding Leader will provide leadership and technical direction to plant welding personnel and welding engineers. Additionally, this position will support for the Division in all aspects of welding, working with Quality, Manufacturing, and Engineering Design to ensure that the optimal welding procedures, methods, and supplies are being used throughout the Division. The position would need to be geographically located near a Valmont site and requires ~50% travel. The Welding Leader will lead in finding improved methods in welding, incorporating these solutions from engineering design through manufacturing and quality process implementation. This position is expected to troubleshoot complex manufacturing issues, improve existing manufacturing processes, qualify welding procedures, and prepare engineering documentation and instructions to support shop fabrications per industrial standards.
Having a thorough understanding of weld inspection and processes, the Welding Leader will assist shop personnel in the interpretation and implementation of requirements. Strong leadership will be key, as this role will direct and coordinate technical personnel in performing inspections to ensure workers' compliance with established welding procedures, restrictions, and standards, in testing welds for conformance with national code requirements, and testing welding personnel for certification. Ensure Valmont is a world leader in welding competency and implementation, supporting the objectives and priorities established by Valmont are implemented in the U.S. and Mexico.
- This position reports to the North American Operations Welding Engineer Manager and has no direct or indirect reports
- This role requires up to 50% travel (internationally/domestically), including overnight stays
- Be subject matter expert:
- As related to materials properties and characteristics of metals and metal alloys
- As related to engineering principles in defining weld specifications
- In all facets of welding processes, including GMAW, FCAW, SAW and other welding processes used within the infrastructure industry
- Lead Valmont in incorporating best practices related to welding design for manufacturability
- Prepare technical reports as result of research and development as related to design
- Review RFQ customer specifications as related to weld requirements, develop logic behind exceptions taken, support contract negotiations, and ensure final contract specifications are implemented through Engineering Design
- Ensure that designs meet all requirements of the contract and welding specifications
- Prepare engineering documentation and instructions to support shop fabrications per industrial standards
- Develop welding systems and procedures; establish welding techniques, procedures, and application of welding equipment to problems involving fabrication of metals, utilizing knowledge of production specifications, properties and characteristics of metals and metal alloys, and engineering principles
- Lead Valmont in staying apprised of state-of-the-art welding production processes and implementing best practices across the Division
- Troubleshoot complex manufacturing issues, improve existing manufacturing processes, qualify welding procedures
- Stay apprised of Customer Specifications, identifying variances to both AWS Code Requirements and current Manufacturing Processes and Specifications, and ensure alignment
- Maintain an attitude that unlawful or unethical actions are not acceptable
- Conduct business on behalf of the Company in full compliance with the laws of the many jurisdictions in which we operate
- Assist Operations team with determining opportunities for improvement & managing change
- Assist Operations team in deploying new technologies and processes
- Assist in facilitating, & improving technical training for Welders, Operations Leaders, QA Inspectors, and Engineers
- Develop instructional material for training and certification of welding and fabrication
- Assist shop personnel in the interpretation and implementation of welding requirements
- Comply with all Safety Policies, Procedures, and Quality Systems Procedures
- Direct and coordinate technical personnel in performing inspections to ensure compliance with established welding procedures, restrictions, and standards
- Develop QA process audit systems; Implement QA testing of welds to ensure conformance with national code requirements and customer specifications
Other Important Details about the Role:
- Must be able to effectively and persuasively present complex information in a simply way to executive level audiences
- Exceptional project management and leadership skills; able to share and accept ideas from subordinates to foster a team environment
- Proven experience with effectively communicating at all levels including plant, leadership, customer, and third-party lab/inspection entities
- Team player; must be able to work collaboratively with others from all areas of Valmont
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with and negotiate with sub-contractors
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Preferred Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Welding, Metallurgy, Material Science) with 5+ years of relevant experience or Associate's Degree with 7+ years of relevant experience or 9+ years of relevant experience
- Minimum two years of weld engineering and advanced manufacturing work experience
- Experience with multiple welding processes (GMAW, FCAW and SAW)
- Experience with NDT inspection processes (UT, MT, PT)
- Experience developing and implementing various welding methods
- Experience with lab testing and techniques
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point, Auto CAD
- Decisive problem-solving ability and capability to assess people and situations with accuracy
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve problems
- Highly motivated with a desire to tackle challenging opportunities
- Flexible - can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines; able to work with short lead times in pressure situations
- Confident self-starter with integrity and accountability
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
- Knowledgeable of Lean Manufacturing and Kaizen techniques
- Familiarity with Six Sigma, Lean and other analytical tools, and procedures
- Experience in a multi-site manufacturing organization
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Metallurgical/Materials Engineering with 5+ years working experience in a manufacturing environment preferred
- AWS/CWI/CWS certification + 10yrs of manufacturing experience
- Two years of experience working in Heavy Steel Fabrication
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. Up to 50% travel requirements for this position (domestic and international with overnight stays). The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Apply on company website