28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
Incumbent performs skilled and technical work in areas of inspections to support maintenance, and repair of electrical utility structures, appurtenances and right-of-ways. Incumbent checks structures for deterioration, faulty wiring, excessively worn parts, easement ingress and unsafe conditions. Inspection activities will primarily be accomplished through visual testing methods using high definition images acquired by unmanned aerial vehicle crews. Observations made through the image analysis and any available field-acquired notes will be combined into a condition assessment report by structure and by line segment. In addition to identifying anomalies, the incumbent will include in the assessment a risk analysis and industry recognized methods for an effective repair. On occasion, the incumbent may be involved in exercising lineman credentials to hold and coordinate segment clearances and orders to support unmanned aerial inspection and repair missions. In times of client emergencies such as natural disasters, the incumbent may be called to assist in real-time evaluations of affected utility assets and developing repair plans to further customer recovery efforts. While assisting in a client emergency response, work hours could sporadic at unusual times, and for extended periods.
- This position reports to the Senior Project Manager within the Utility Division and has no direct reports
- Travel requirements may be up to 10% with overnight stays within the U.S.
- Verify/map truck access to structures using provided GIS data and general mapping software
- Work with high resolution monitors to assess structure conditions from pictorial data
- Verify the structure matches data and pictures provided by client or specifications
- Author both individual structure and line segment condition reports
- Track inspection activities and observations though spreadsheets and reporting software
- Understand electrical schematics and terminology
- Have a working knowledge of Federal and National electrical codes
- In risk analysis, leverage inspectors of other disciplines to include nondestructive testing and corrosion analysis
- Understand and comply with company procedures, policies, and work instructions.
- Must be able to work overtime as required
Other Important Details about the Role:
Has to assess structures to meet condition requirements and safe operation. Has to evaluate and mitigate potential hazard affecting work operations. Must be able to work in situations for long periods using intense mental and visual concentration. Good hand to eye coordination. Must be able to distinguish colors and object characteristics. Capable of reading manuals, schematics, labels, and other printed materials. Normal hearing is required to diagnose problems with machines and equipment.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Hold a lineman's license or certificate in respective state of residence with 3 plus years of experience
- Graduate of a technical school or apprenticeship program in a related field
- Math skills, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions are used to compute power, current, voltage, resistance, etc.
- Read and understand electrical schematics, blueprints and National Electrical Codes are used to comprehend complex electrical circuits both AC and DC
- Knows and understands the various types of components used in an electrical utility environment such as power transmission, substation and distribution structures
- Understands the utility structure grounding and insulating
- Understands and follows work instructions
- A minimum of 5 years experience in electrical utility structure inspection
- Capable of working inside and outside and in all types of climatic conditions
- Must have effective communication skills, verbally and written to all levels of the organization including managers, co-workers, engineers, suppliers, clients
- Must be able to work with others in a team environment
- Must have acceptable safety record
- Capable of lifting 50 pounds
- Capable of working at heights
- Capable of viewing and reviewing photographs on high resolution monitors
- Capable of using common software for word processing, record keeping and image analysis
- Capable of using a variety of virtual meeting software
Highly Qualified Candidates will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Ten plus years experience as a Journeyman Lineman
- Working knowledge of PLS-CADD software
- Working knowledge of photogrammetry software for vegetation analysis
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. Travel is sometimes required for this position to support inspection activities. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Apply on company website