Company: Virginia Hospital Center
Location: Arlington, VA
Career Level: Associate
Industries: Healthcare, Pharmaceutical, Biotech
Trauma Performance Improvement Specialist
Creating the best outcomes for our patients requires the right people. At Virginia Hospital Center, our staff exceeds expectations by performing at the top-level of the profession.Virginia Hospital Center is a strong advocate for its employees and provides a true collaborative environment in which the healthcare team works closely together, bringing skill, experience and mutual respect to the task of providing superior medical care for our patients.
The Trauma Performance Improvement Specialist will work at the direction of the Trauma Coordinator and Trauma Medical Director. The trauma PI specialist's chief responsibility is to act as a resource to the trauma service line. The PI specialist conducts the collection, surveillance, data entry, analysis and reporting of trauma quality and performance improvement information from medical records as well as other resources. The trauma PI specialist ensures data collection, management, analysis, and performance improvement requirements are met for a Level II trauma center. The PI specialist acts in a pivotal capacity for attaining and maintaining level II trauma center designation and verification. Excellent communication and organizational skills, critical thinking, and ability to pay closr attention to detail are essential. Must be reliable, dependable, and able to initiate and complete projects of moderate complexity with limited supervision. He/she will demonstrate the ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with teams. The candidate must be able to work in a high-pressure environment subject to multiple and changing priorities and demands. This position primarily is a weekday position but the candidate must be able to work additional hours at times to support large projects and/or to prepare for regulatory reviews. This may require evening and/or weekend hours to meet deadlines and preparation goals. It should be noted this is not a patient care role.
- Develops and maintains an efficient system to routinely review trauma program cases and quality initiatives at the direction of the Trauma Coordinator (TC) and Trauma Medical Director (TMD).
- Communicates existing or potential trauma performance improvement issues and opportunities identified in trauma case evaluation and reports trending to the Trauma Medical Director and Trauma Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Attends daily trauma multidisciplinary rounds to gather trauma PI and case data and enters pertinent data such as audit filter triggers, complications, and other PI case data into trauma database and trauma logs daily.
- Utilizes the trauma database, electronic health record, and other information resources to develop reports, presentations, and case summaries.
- Performs data validations of trauma case data, reporting any validation rates below 80% for any single field or data abstrator.
- Assists with submission of trauma case data to the Virginia State Trauma Registry (VSTR), National Trauma Databank (NTDB), and/or TQIP (ACS Trauma Quality Improvement Program), correcting any outliers prior to submission.
- Assists with training of other trauma program staff members with respect to the trauma database, data collection, report-writing, and trauma PI processes.
- Master's Degree of an Accredited Physician Assistant Program is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of Critical Care experience is required.
- Licensed as a Physician Assistant by the Virginia Department of Health Professions is required.
- Certified Abbreviated Injury Scaling Specialist (CAISS) or Certified Specialist in Trauma Registry (CSTR) preferred.
- Completion of TOPIC (Trauma Outcomes and Performance Improvement Course) within 1 year of hiire if not obtained prior.
- Audit of TNCC (Trauma Nursing Core Course) within 1 year of hire
- Completion of AIS (Abbreviated Injury Scaling) Course and Trauma ICD-10 cours within 2 years of hire.
- Proficiency in working with Excel spreadsheets, developing Word documents, PowerPoint presentations.
- Experience with EPIC electronic health records helpful
- Experience delivering patient care in a designated trauma center, working in a trauma program, or quality management role preferred
Apply on company website