Trauma Registrar- Database Administrator Creating the best outcomes for our patients requires the right people. At Virginia Hospital Center, our staff exceeds expectations by performing at the top-level of the profession.
Virginia Hospital Center is a strong advocate for its employees and provides a true collaborative environment in which the healthcare team works closely together, bringing skill, experience and mutual respect to the task of providing superior medical care for our patients.
The Trauma Registrar and Database Administrator will work at the direction of the Trauma Coordinator and Trauma Medical Director. He or she will perform and coordinate the work pertinent for developing, maintaining, and improving a current quality trauma registry and database for the Trauma Program that ensures data collection, management, analysis, and performance improvement requirements for a Level II trauma center. This position is an essential component for trauma center designation and verification and supporting organizational initiatives. The trauma registrar/database administrator is responsible for identifying all trauma cases for data abstraction, entry of data, reporting trauma data, and general upkeep of the trauma database. Excellent communication and organizational skills, critical thinking, and close attention to detail are essential. Must be reliable, dependable, with ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with teams. The candidate must be able to work in a high-pressure environment subject to multiple, changing priorities and demands. This position primarily is a weekday only position but the candidate must be able to work additional hours at times to support large projects and/or to prepare for regulatory reviews. This may require evening and/or weekend hours to meet deadlines and preparation goals.
- Demonstrates accurat identification of eligible trauma cases for abstraction on a daily and interval basis, logging cases in an organized fashion for the trauma program team.
- Demonostrate the ability to abstract and enter 500-700 trauma cases annually. This will be adjusted to accommodate other significant projects or routine duties that impact abstraction time.
- Actively seeks clarification to optimize trauma case coding from the medical and trauma program staff.
- Prepares, processess, and submits trauma case data to the Virginia State Trauma Registry (VSTR), National Trauma Databank (NTDB), and/or TQIP (ACS Trauma Quality Improvement Program), correcting any outliers prior to submission.
- Acts to assure continual readiness for and participates actively in inspection of the Trauma Services at VHC by national, state, and/or regional regulatory agencies such as The Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services and/or American College of Surgeons.
- Communicates trauma performance improvement issues and opportunities identified in trauma case evaluation to the Trauma Medical Director and Trauma Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Assist with training of other trauma program staff members with respect to the trauma registry, data collection, and report-writing.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
- Associate's Degree in Health Information Management, Computer Science or in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of two years of Trauma Registry experience preferred.
- Certified Abbreviated Injury Scaling Specialist (CAISS) or Certified Specialist in Trauma Registry (CSTR) to be obtained within 24 months of employment
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) preferred.
- Completion of an AID Coding Course, ATS Trauma Registrar Course and Trauma ICD-10 Course within 1 year of hire if not previously completed
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office Suite and Computer Literacy.
- Ability to develop Excel Spreadsheets, Word Documents, Powerpoint presentations and perform general office duties.
- Experience with Electronic Health Records
- Knowledge of human anatomy and physiology
- Experience with Epic health record helpful
Pay & Benefits: In addition to salary, the benefit package includes paid major holidays, vacation/sick time, health & dental insurance, and 401(k)
Apply on company website