Description Position at Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada Ontario Branch
Working closely with the Program Coordinator, the Activationist will implement quality therapeutic recreational programming for Adult Day Program members that is consistent with the mission and vision of VON Canada.
- Assist clients with activities of daily living, including mobility, toileting, hygiene, transferring, meeting nutritional requirements
- Supervise and assist with medications as documented in the client's chart and as per the Safe Medication Assistance by Unregulated Care Providers Policy
- Assist with the development and implementation of monthly activities
- Develop and maintain open channels of communication with clients and caregivers, Program Coordinator, Manager, and other team members
- Work to maintain a safe and secure environment for clients and caregivers
- Report all events (compliments, complaints, incidents) to Program Coordinator and document appropriately
- Responsible for remaining current with client updates provided through Home and Community Care, caregivers, and other service providers
- Work in compliance with Health and Safety regulations
- Participate in mandatory VON Education Days and recertifications(WHIMS, Hand Hygiene, etc.) as directed
- Participate in occasional weekend respite as required.
- Work in collaboration with team and coordinator in preparing for accreditation
- Degree, diploma or certificate in Therapeutic Recreation, Activation Techniques in Gerontology or a related field
- Certification in Gentle Persuasive Approach and Montessori Methods an asset
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification and Food Handlers required
- Strong computer skills including use of MS Word, Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in planning and implementing a therapeutic program for persons with cognitive and physical challenges
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team setting with a flexible client-centered team care approach
- Strong ability to problem solve, multi task and prioritize, follow direction and lead by example
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- A valid driver's permit and availability of a reliable vehicle with current car insurance
- Current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast- paced environment; Attention to Detail; Carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Grip; Walk, Sit, Stand, Climb stairs; Fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Apply on company website