Description Position at Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada – Nova Scotia Branch
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Community Support Services
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
On Call: No
Location: Antigonish is preferred home site location but can work out the Stellarton office also.
JOIN OUR TEAM:
A career at VON is more than just a job. It's an opportunity to use your talents to make a difference in the lives of people in your community. We are looking for a dynamic leader who is a relationship focused, results-oriented professional with strong critical thinking, leadership and influencing skills, and who is passionate about helping people in their community live every day to the fullest.
The Manager HCC - Community Support Services will be responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of quality services and programs (Adult Day, Meal, Transportation and other programs) for our clients and their families in Antigonish, Pictou and Cape Breton area.
This position works as part of an integrated regional management team to ensure the successful implementation of site operational goals as well as managing the delivery of Community Care Programs and services. This position will lead staff/volunteer recruitment, supervision, and training. As well they will lead fund development initiatives, assess community needs, program development, and implementation and, working with community boards and other stakeholders in the community.
- Directs and monitors the delivery of client care services and day to day functions and performance of the staff in accordance with current regulatory guidelines and VON policies, procedures, and standards.
- Assists staff to complete risk assessments, investigations of issues, injuries and reporting related to client or employee incidents.
- Monitors performance related to funder expectations regularly and contributes to the development and implementation of quality improvement activities to achieve performance targets through monitoring of reported services.
- Guides new employees through the orientation process and ensure all probationary reviews and stay interviews are completed.
- Applies working knowledge of the relevant collective agreements and application of local labour rules in daily decision-making activities.
- Participates in budget preparation, financial performance management and measurement reports.
- Participates in local, regional or national team or committees as required such as Quality Care and Service, Joint Occupational Health and Safety, Accreditation, Recruitment, and Retention.
- In collaboration with internal stakeholders, develops team procedures and guidelines to ensure best practices are met in the completion of all tasks or programs.
- Builds and sustains strategic relationships with current, new and prospective VON partners, and community organizations.
- Receives and documents all employee, family and client complaints or issues related to service delivery; engage other VON managers in resolving the issue or complaint and escalates, if required, to the appropriate Director.
- Ensures occupational health and safety policies, programs and activities are performed by staff, in compliance with VON's health and safety policies and guidelines and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Assesses and documents community needs and assists in developing business and funding proposals to meet emerging opportunities.
- Provides support for department presentations and reports.
- Works in collaboration to ensure staff are trained and competent within their roles.
- Completes reports for internal and external stakeholders conducting relevant analysis and ensuring timely submission.
- Completes risk assessments, investigations of issues, incidents or injuries as required.
- Facilitates front line staff development and growth using a team approach and working in concert with the practice leaders and educators to facilitate excellent outcomes for quality care delivery, client service and provider safety, and service provider competence. This includes and is not limited to the use of competency assessments, annual performance development plans, individual learning plans, referral to practice educators and on-going mentorship.
- Provides service provider personnel with access to clinical advice, support, and clinical reference resources
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Common Leadership Responsibilities:
- Promotes the strategy of VON and its role as an integrated community care provider to all stakeholders and staff.
- Prioritizes and ensures alignment of emerging opportunities in the community with VON strategic plan.
- Provides leadership in navigating the requirements and complexities of unionized and non-unionized environments.
- Coaches, advises, motivates, and provides leadership to staff; creates a positive workplace for staff.
- Promotes the LEAN team management approach to ensure a common paradigm of management and discipline of management practices.
- Ensures there are mechanisms for all staff to come together to hear of organizational news and to provide feedback on what is working and what is not working.
- Ensures the completion of performance development and learning plans for all staff.
- Promotes common approaches to orientation, learning, motivating, recognizing and supporting staff when achieving organizational goals; such as meeting or exceeding KPIs, meeting or exceeding milestones.
- Provides leadership and commitment to building client and family engagement and following Accreditation Canada Standards.
- Provides leadership in the promotion of a safe and healthy workplace ensuring workplace conduct and activities are in accordance with the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, that KPIs related to safety are regularly reviewed by management, that appropriate investigations occur when needed, and plans to address issues are created and acted upon.
- Promotes work/life balance fostering professional excellence and personal fulfillment and health.
- Promotes the use of technology-based systems for the capture, transformation and distribution of knowledge.
- Abides by all confidentiality and protection of personal information policies, regulations and practices and ensures appropriate safeguards are in place in the Region.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Regularly liaises/communicates proactively and constructively with various members of the home care and clinical management teams.
- Develops effective internal relationships across departments to facilitate department objectives and responsibilities.
- Interacts with Client Organizations such as LHIN, CCAC, District Health Authorities, Ministries of Health and community health, social and service agencies.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Bachelor or Post-Secondary education in a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in Community Support Services
- A minimum of 2 years' experience managing others.
- Experience in community work and working with community partners in a collaborative way.
- Experience engaging with municipal, provincial and national external groups in a related field.
- Experience in negotiation, conflict management, financial management and working with staff and volunteers.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is an asset.
- Excellent critical thinking, assessment and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office software, including PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively structure daily work activities with minimal supervision.
- High level of organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment while balancing competing priorities.
- Ability to exercise innovation and identifying opportunities by practicing LEAN principles and methodologies.
- Strong public relations and networking skills.
- Demonstrated skillsets in leadership, and team building.
- Ability to accept and facilitate change.
- Must have a personal vehicle or access to reliable transportation and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance, if applicable.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Willingness to travel regularly during the day as well as periodically overnight(s) to support sites and attend meetings.
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas.
- Available to work flexible hours.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Apply on company website