Description Position at Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada – Nova Scotia Branch
Employment Status: Casual
Program Name: Visiting Nursing
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: NSNU
Area of work: Amhurst, Cumberland County
Portability of Seniority as per NSNU Agreement
The Registered Nurse is responsible for the provision and management of client and family-centered, evidence-based, efficient nursing care to individuals and families in their homes and community. The Registered Nurse ensures care is provided within the framework of quality & risk management and the standards and scope of practice set by VON, relevant provincial regulatory body and Community Health Nurses of Canada. The Registered Nurse is responsible for safe and appropriate teaching, assignment and delegation of tasks to different categories of workers.
- Manages and coordinates care; evaluates health outcomes; educates, counsels and advocate for individuals to meet health goals
- Provide all levels of nursing care whether caring for stable clients with predictable outcomes or unpredictable outcomes and whose health needs are acute, complex and rapidly changing.
- Provides cost-effective, organized, outcome directed care on an ongoing basis and assigns/delegates care as necessary.
- Provides service consistent with the standards established by VON and provincial regulatory body and Community Health Nurses of Canada.
- Provides complete, relevant assessment of the client, family, and caregiver and their environment utilizing pre-set procedures.
- Develops a care plan with the client and family or caregiver based on the nursing assessment.
- Incorporates discharge planning into the care plan as required.
- Implements nursing strategies or interventions according to the established care plan.
- Performs technical nursing skills at a safe level in accordance with nursing principles and VON policies and procedures.
- Describes and documents nursing processes clearly, concisely, accurately and appropriately, according to regulatory and VON standards.
- Describes and documents client's, family's, or caregiver's responses to care plan using established procedures.
- Utilizes appropriate interviewing and communication skills to obtain information from the client, family, or caregiver.
- Evaluates client's, family's, or caregiver's responses to care plan for the achievement of realistic client-centered outcomes and revises plan as required.
- Promotes involvement of client, family or caregiver in determining health and service needs.
- Supports the health and well-being of clients and families and client and family engagement in care to support independence.
- Negotiates with client, family or caregiver as necessary to ensure the effective delivery of care while respecting client choices.
- Analyses and incorporates current research findings into clinical practice.
- Reports and discusses client's status on a regular basis with other members of the health care team.
- Documents rationale for referrals, increase and decrease in visits, and for discharge based on relevant, sound data and established guidelines.
- Refers clients to appropriate categories of nursing providers, support providers and to other disciplines utilizing established guidelines.
- Identifies and utilizes tools and resources for relevant work and manages these resources.
- Works collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team and acts as a clinical resource and mentor for other care providers, staff and students.
- Promotes client-directed care, self-care and independence through teaching and health promotion.
- Utilizes adult learning principals and established teaching materials to provide health teaching to clients and families.
- Shares clinical knowledge to enable clients, families and the community to make informed choices in determining health and service needs.
- Influences policy review and development in health care and nursing practice standards through involvement in VON, regulatory, professional organizations and community organizations.
- Practices in accordance with the quality and risk management framework of VON Canada and Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Plans, implements, evaluates and adjusts care in accordance with client-focused expectations by seeking input from clients to assure that services meet needs.
- Participates in decision-making of client care plans and follow up to promote continuous quality improvement.
- Functions in accordance with the VON policies, procedures and strategic direction of VON Canada.
- Collaborates with management staff and colleagues in the evaluation of own practice and maintains competence through continuing education and self-reflection.
- Other duties as assigned.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Engages regularly with clients, their families and caregivers. Provides education and support to engage clients and families in independence
- Participates actively with other healthcare professional organizations and the community to promote nursing best practices
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Must be Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the province of practice
- Canadian Nurses Association certification in Community Health Nursing as asset
- For positions requiring expertise in a specific field of clinical practice, additional degrees or certificates may be required.
- Clinical practice experience is an asset.
- Experience in community health an asset.
- Ability to observe and make effective assessment of clinical issues.
- Able to initiate and support health teaching
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Apply on company website