Description Position at Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada Ontario Branch
Employment Status:Occasional, Part Time (0.2 FTE)
Program: Community Support Services
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 15
Union/Bargaining Unit: OPSEU
On Call: No
Personal Support Workers, Respite work within the framework of Continuous Quality Improvement, VON District Philosophy, policies and procedures, standards and application legislation. Contributes to the fulfillment of the VON Mission Statement to develop and/or promote programs to meet community needs. Respite workers provide programming in the home to support well being of clients and to provide caregiver relief.
Provides a program of care and stimulation in the home for the person with dementia, based on a plan of care established by the Coordinator and the caregiver to help maintain and improve the physical, emotional and mental-well-being of the individual requiring care while meeting the needs of the caregiver for regular respite.
- Personal Support Worker Certificate
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Gentle Persuasive Approach (GPA) training an asset.
Proven experience working with individuals with Alzheimer's disease and related dementia's.
Working with Dementia Certificate or equivalent training in dementia care an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Ability to work independently and problem solve
- Ability to adapt to change and work in various social and economic environments.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced Environment; Attention to Detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Fine hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Apply on company website