Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
At Waste Management, we value the importance of establishing and maintaining a solid team of wonderful people that work well together. This means that we stand with one foot firmly planted in the present, while directing our eyes toward the future. To that end, we're always looking for great talent and, when we have the opportunity to do so, pipelining for future needs. This is one such occasion. This means that while we don't have a current Account Manager opening to place someone into, we would love to explore how you may fit into this role when the time comes.
Each year, the research team at Selling Power publishes a top list of U.S. based companies meeting the highest benchmarks in; 1) Compensation and Benefits, 2) Hiring, Sales Training, and Sales Enablement, and 3) Customer Retention.
• This year (2019), Waste Management ranks #13 in the list of top 50 companies to sell for. In 2018, we were #14. We're moving up!
I. Job Summary
Farming: The main component of this job involves managing and maintaining existing accounts, which we call "farming". You will generate revenue growth by utilizing a consultative selling approach in the retention of current Waste Management customers. You will manage existing business relationships in order to achieve budgeted sales goals by developing and implementing sound retention strategies, utilizing strong negotiation efforts to preserve business, and securing contract agreements from previously non-contracted customers.
The Account Manager (AM) will “save, secure, and convert” by handling all customer cancellation requests, providing ongoing education of contract details to existing customers, and by obtaining customer contract commitments during face-to-face interactions. All escalations for customer service within the defined territory will be resolved through this position.
Hunting: The secondary component of this job will acquire new business, through both existing accounts and brand-new business opportunities. We call this "hunting". This involves prospecting related activities and administrative work, including proposals. The job is an outside role, with time spent in the field, prospecting for and selling to potential customers.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
Customer interaction (external and internal), response & follow up
• Serve as the lead point of contact for customer account management matters in an assigned book of business, establish and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction with internal and external customers, and build and maintain strong, long-lasting customer relationships
• Align Waste Management products and services with customer needs, propose solutions that are compliant with appropriate local, state and federal regulations, and increase account penetration through consultative selling skills
• Increase revenue and profitability by executing sound plans on retention visits to improve the customers' service and/or profitability
• Negotiate, update, and renew customer service agreements to maximize profits by providing ongoing education of contract details and use of strong negotiation skills
• Resolve challenging customer requests, reduce lost accounts by diffusing cancellation requests, and collaborate with Retention Sales Manager to resolve all customer escalations or issues
• Communicate rates, charges and service strategies with conviction as well as understand and effectively use customer incentives and concessions within appropriate profit targets and level of authority
• Collaborate with sales team to identify and grow opportunities within territory and engage additional WM business opportunities, referring internally as appropriate
Acquire in-depth industry and company knowledge to prepare complex proposals and make recommendations on equipment optimization and leasing options.
• Use Waste Management sales productivity software tools accurately and consistently (i.e. Salesforce.com/Customer Relationship Management and Pricing Tools)
• Prepare reports as needed and/or handle general administrative duties as appropriate
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited)
• Experience: Three (3) years of business to business account management experience at a proficient level
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
• Ability to effectively convert customer cancellation requests
• Ability to effectively build relationships
• Ability to set goals
• Proficient in time management
• Proficient in computer skills
• High impact communication
• Planning and organization
• Ability to negotiate effectively
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
• Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
• Normal setting for this job is in the field selling and office work.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Apply on company website