Thank you for your interest in Waste Management. In response to COVID-19, we will be conducting our review process through creative solutions. If you are selected to move forward, next steps may involve virtual connections and may take longer than normal. Interview timing may be delayed and will vary by site. Your patience and flexibility are appreciated.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
This position requires frequent (75%-80%) overnight travel to the following locations: Ridgeland, SC, Richland, SC, Savannah, GA and Ashboro, NC.
After applying please watch out for an email from Montage requesting that you complete a recorded phone interview. If you do not see the email please search your spam folder for “Montage”
I. Job Summary
This position reports directly to the Area Director of Landfill Operations and indirectly to the Corporate Director Gas Operations. This position manages: landfill gas collection and control system (GCCS) operations, capital budget planning and dispersal, regulatory compliance, and will provide oversight of and support to Area landfill gas field Technicians and Gas Operations Supervisor(s).
Proven engineering knowledge and aptitude for GCCS design, construction and system operations is required, along with an understanding of state and federal regulations, which impact GCCS design and operations. This position will implement company-wide training programs, directives, policies and procedures related to GCCS design, construction, operations, and maintenance within a defined geographic area of coverage (i.e., Area).
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Plan, organize and manage capital projects for the GCCS design, construction, and operations within a defined geographic area of coverage.
- Under senior management direction, work toward predetermined goals and objectives such as; implementing standards relating to environmental protection regarding the control and management of landfill gas within a defined geographic area of coverage (i.e., Area level).
- Participate in the planning and engineering design strategy and approval of the operating and capital budget for GCCS as well as procurement and distribution of landfill gas (LFG) conveyance equipment and materials.
- Direct and manage internal and external (consultant or contractor) company resources. Manage asset development within the defined geographic area of coverage including: GCCS installation/modifications, compliance monitoring testing and reporting, program development, change, LFG program optimization, and site and personnel reviews.
- Organize and execute routine communications with Area and Corporate management regarding both significant development projects as well as to ensure compliance and consistency with company-wide GCCS and air quality programs.
- Participate in communication with local, state, or national internal and external stakeholders to discuss program or project objectives that meet WM objectives of optimizing GCCS operations, ensuring environmental protection or performance, and reducing compliance costs to the field.
- Support: Air Program, Legal, Environmental Protection (EP) Managers in responding to and resolving any regulatory issues pertaining to LFG/GCCS operations.
- Possess interpersonal skills, including ability to assure acceptance of company-wide standards, leadership, motivational, and social skills.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of supervisory employees. This includes:
- Direct supervision of 4-6 full-time employees, including: landfill gas Technicians - Levels I & II, and Gas Operations Supervisor(s).
- Indirect supervision of some full-time employees and contractors.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited)
- Experience: Ten (10) years of relevant work experience in area of engineering and/or construction specializing in GCCS design, construction, and/or operations (in addition to education requirement).
- Up to four (4) years of experience may be substituted: Two (2) years of experience may be substituted with an Engineering degree (accredited) and two (2) years of experience may be substituted for professional engineering (PE) registration/licensure.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid and unrestricted driver's license
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills (unless in Canadian provinces)
- Proven technical project management skills.
- Immediate knowledge and aptitude for GCCS design, construction and system operations.
- Complete understanding of state and federal regulations, which impact GCCS design and operations.
- Ability to optimize the performance of GCCS
- Thorough familiarity with the operation of landfill gas collection and combustion devices and the ability to troubleshoot this equipment remotely
- Advanced computer skills (i.e. email, web browser, Microsoft - Excel and Word)
- Excellent mechanical and technical skills/aptitude
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) part of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) occasionally;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements occasionally;
- Normal setting for this job is an office setting and landfill/outdoors.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Apply on company website