Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Waste Management has an exciting opportunity for a dispatcher to work in the centralized dispatch department for the Greater Mid Atlantic area based in Ewing, NJ. This role is a great way to learn about the truck routing operations while gaining experience on multiple systems. Waste Management provides mentorship and development opportunities to high performers for other opportunities within the field.
** The hours of operation for the dispatch department are 1:30AM to 7:00PM, candidates should be available to work a shift within the hours of operation**
I. Job Summary
Communicates back and forth with Waste Management Drivers to assist with problem resolution while on route for residential, commercial and roll-off lines of business. Handles incoming service orders, directs drivers, and resolves service issues. Interacts with customers that includes Waste Management customer service, sales, and operational staff (i.e. Route Managers, Mechanics etc.). Uses Waste Management proprietary software to enter ticket information and track activity. Shifts vary with the potential for overtime and Saturday hours depending particular site needs.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Dispatches drivers using information of customer needs, driver's locations and loads, and daily factors to balance cost and efficiency
- Works with Routing and Logistics Engineers, Route Managers, and Drivers to optimize routes
- Assists Route Manager in determining daily level of driver staffing to service our customer needs efficiently
- Assigns routes and service tickets to appropriate Drivers throughout the day and for the next day
- Handles incoming calls and e-mails from Operations, Customer Service and Sales department
- Initiates outbound calls to customers while drivers are on-site, resolving pick-up and other issues. Uses close loop communication process to inform internal and external customers of root cause and resolution.
- Proactively troubleshoots and resolves potential delivery and service issues before they result in service interruptions
- Communicates with maintenance shop personnel and serves as an emergency point of contact for mechanical downtime, down wires, and other issues
- May be asked to lead morning huddle meetings
- May be asked to train new employees
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited).
- Bachelor's Degree (accredited) preferred
- Experience: 6 months of relevant work experience
- Two years of prior experience in the transportation or logistics industries preferred
- Prior leadership or supervisory experience preferred
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Computer skills with ability to handle multiple programs and systems
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally via e-mail, telephone, and 2 way devices
- Must have the desire and ability to learn Waste Management proprietary software applications
- Must have proficiency using Microsoft Office specifically Outlook and Excel
- Proficiency in Excel should include the ability to sort, and filter data, merge cells and use formulas
- Ability to lead meetings preferred
- Ability to train and coach new dispatchers
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
- If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.
** Please upload a current resume for further consideration**
Apply on company website