Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength.
What Are You Looking for in Your Next Career Move?
If you select Waste Management, you will be a business partner to our operational leadership team and play a significant role in helping us achieve our goals. Our business can be complex, but with your drive and initiative and with the support of our collaborative team you will learn quickly. Influence and change leadership will be important as you successfully orchestrate the changes necessary to achieve the exciting vision Waste Management has to continue as the largest and most innovative environmental leader in our industry.
Of course, you are a professional who wants to grow your career. You will work with the Area HR Director to develop and prepare for the next step to meet your career goals. We are only one part of a very large and dynamic group of Waste Management HR professionals nationwide that we can count on for developmental resources, networking and support.
If we nailed what you are looking for, continue reading, then take that next important (and exciting!) step in your career and hit the “apply” button.
Information on Our Human Resources Manager Position
As a dynamic and innovative member of the Waste Management Human Resources (HR) organization, the Human Resources Manager will be tasked with providing world class strategic people solutions and guidance to the managers of our Michigan Districts – with a primary focus on execution and support of internal manager clients.
Michigan is part of the Michigan, Ohio, Indiana Area - 1 of the 17 Waste Management Areas throughout the United States and Canada. Michigan has 36 locations with approximately 890 employees You will report to the MI/OH/IN Area HR Director and be part of the Area HR team which includes 3 other HR Managers and 3 HR Coordinators.
Our HR Managers consistently model our commitments of People First and Success with Integrity throughout the business operation while effectively demonstrating our values of Diversity & Inclusion, Safety, Environmental Stewardship, and Customer Centricity. We leverage these commitments and values to provide and maintain an effective and engaging organization which will enable the company to achieve its short and long-term goals.
What A WM HR Manager DoesTo perform this job successfully, the selected candidate must be able to perform each of the below essential duties satisfactorily. As all professional HR Managers know - other duties may be assigned.
- Identifies and activates HR solutions. Must accurately diagnose organization issues, develop solutions and implement action plans.
- Coaches and advises managers, supporting multiple functions/departments on employee and labor relations matters.
- Manages talent through succession planning programs for key contributor and management positions, learning and development programs for preparing employees for growth in the organization.
- Execute area/business unit/functional-level strategies to improve organizational health and culture. Lead and participate in diversity & inclusion initiatives.
- Key member of district operating unit and/or functional department leadership team.
- Leads/manages projects and/or participates as a project member.
- Develops written and oral presentations that have high clarity and impact.
- Serves as an advisor to management for employment related legal issues and ensures local compliance with federal, state, provincial, and local employment laws.
- Execute organizational change initiatives that support the company's strategic business framework.
- Proactively identifies and applies new ideas to adapt to changing work demands.
What a WM HR Manager Needs to Be Successful The successful candidate will possess the below qualifications which are necessary to perform the job.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
· Possess & leverage human resources discipline, operational and/or business acumen to influence shareholder value. Understanding of, and some experience with, most or all core aspects of Human Resources Management (staffing; employee relations; performance management; leadership development; training).
- Ability to think strategically and translate concepts into actionable items.
- Must possess consultative style and approach with proven ability to develop credible relationships with business partners.
· Strong analytical & diagnostic skills. Utilizes data analytics to identify People insights to make proactive solutions.
- Ability to assess & develop individuals' knowledge, skills, and ability. Talent management and succession planning experience preferred.
· Innovative mindset identifying new ways to solve work problems resulting in unique/differentiated solutions.
- Ability to gain acceptance of ideas and commitment to action that support specific work outcomes through professional influence. Courage to make tough decisions and deliver difficult messages with professionalism and poise.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to professionally present their point of view in varied business situations.
- Ability to understand the business operations from both a strategic and tactical perspective.
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple projects with overlapping tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Highly organized with a sense of urgency.
- Strong emotional intelligence and employee relations skills.
· Strong labor relations skills – preferred.
- Experience in multiple disciplines human resources – preferred.
Education and Experience
Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited) in Industrial/Labor Relations, Human Resources Management, Psychology, or related field, or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant work experience.
Experience: Five years of experience managing human resource systems, process, programs, initiatives and professionals (in addition to education requirement)
Experience Preferred: HR Generalist experience with responsibility for field employees at multiple geographic locations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
SPHR or SHRM/CP certification preferred.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to travel 10% - 40% depending upon location.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) a significant portion of the work day.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements occasionally as necessitated by travel to field operating units.
- Normal setting for this job is an office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Apply on company website