Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Waste Management has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Operations Manager to manage the landfill operations at the Fairless Hills Landfill complex located in Morrisville, PA. This is a great career opportunity for someone who is experienced with earthmoving equipment to manage a large landfill that averages about 14,000 tons per day.
The landfill operates two shifts with the earliest starting at 1:30AM. The Operations Manager is expected to start around 4:00AM to provide some management coverage over both shifts.
I. Job Summary
Ensures the highest standards of environmental safety and operational excellence by effectively managing the day-to-day operations of the landfill.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Ensures smooth operation of landfill: ongoing construction, permitting, leachate/gas management.
- Minimizes operational costs while maximizing productivity and maintaining safety and environmental compliance.
- Continually works to reduce turnaround time for trucks in and out of site.
- Accurately tracks waste volume and weight.
- Acts as a liaison, where necessary, for community relationships.
- Actively monitors ongoing permitting issues.
- Complies with and ensures adherence to Waste Management's Mission to Zero standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient operations.
- Meets all financial review dates and corporate directed programs in a timely fashion.
- Oversees personnel needs of the department including selecting, coaching, and training employees and evaluating employee performance. Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
- Assists in the budget process as required.
- Ensures the cleanliness and maintenance of the physical property of the landfill through inspections and preventive maintenance programs with supervisors/employees.
- Conducts and/or attends and contributes to periodic safety meetings to maintain favorable working relationships among employees and promote maximum morale, productivity, and efficiency.
- Provides training and presentations as needed in a positive and professional manner.
- Updates and submits required reports in a timely manner.
- Work with the maintenance department on preventative maintenance scheduling for the equipment.
- Order material as needed using spend accounts within budget and review P&L statement.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of supervisory employees. This includes:
- Direct supervision of approximately 25 full time employees which include leads and heavy equipment operators.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: 7 years of relevant work experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid drivers' license
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Technical knowledge of heavy equipment
- Ability to coach, train and mentor employees
- Ability to lead and motivate hourly employees
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: landfill.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
I understand that applying to this job indicates that I have the legal right to work in the United States. I agree to perform physical duties of this position as outlined in the job with or without reasonable accommodations. I understand that if offered the position, I will be required to pass a drug screen.
Apply on company website