WM is seeking a Route Manager to oversee our Commercial & Industrial waste and recycling collection operations. Our RM's are responsible for the day-to-day management of 20-25 unionized Drivers, including organizing and directing activities to ensure safe and timely collection of materials, consistent with the local business plan and customer contractual requirements.
The Daily Grind
- Coordinates daily operational needs with Maintenance team; plans, distributes, monitors and follows-up on daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and contractual agreements.
- Sets and monitors productivity, service and safety targets for each route and driver, regularly reviewing demand/volume for routes; determines potential gains from re-routing and recommends re-routes to Dispatch.
- Manages end-of-day check-in process, capturing and communicating key service, safety and equipment issues, ensuring communication to appropriate departments.
- Meets all targets consistent with achieving Mission-2-Zero Safety goals for the site; demonstrates a strong involvement in all aspects of the site's daily safety.
- Establishes collaborative relations with union. Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labour relations issues. Providing effective leadership and coaching to employees.
- Communicates and follows-up on sales opportunities, problems at customer site, DVIR repairs, container swaps and safety issues reported by drivers.
- Completes Observational Assessments of Drivers; provides coaching, follow up and retraining; conducts Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent retraining.
- Visits customer sites to evaluate and resolve safety issues; seeks service alternatives where appropriate.
- Conducts weekly safety meetings and daily Service Delivery Optimization (SDO) safety tailgate discussions. Documents and maintains records required by regulatory agencies such as the MTO.
What You'll Need
- High School Diploma/GED/High School Equivalency and 4 years transportation, operations, logistics or solid waste experience.
- Supervisory experience within a transportation/logistics environment including responsibilities for Drivers. This includes employee performance reviews and feedback, scheduling time off, employee grievances or complaints, pay changes and job responsibilities.
- Working knowledge of unionized environments; strong ability to manage employee/labour relation issues; progressive discipline processes.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated leadership skills; ability to coach, mentor and train employees.
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Willing and able to work with others as part of a team to achieve common goals.
- Experience managing health & safety responsibilities and involvement with JHSC's.
- DZ licence would be an asset but is not required.
What You Get!
Our Route Managers are entitled to a competitive base salary, an attractive quarterly bonus package and excellent options for self-directed benefits coverage. As a WM employee, you are eligible for our discounted stock purchase price and participation in our contribution/matching RRSP program. That's like free money!
As North America's largest residential recycler, WM is driven by a commitment to excellence and leadership. We provide real opportunities for career growth while making a difference in the communities we serve.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, go ahead and take a moment to complete your application. Don't forget to include a resume so we can see all the experience and accomplishments you have under your belt. If we like what we see, we will invite you to complete a pre-screening video interview, so be prepared to show off your skills!
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Apply on company website