Excellent opportunity in Thomaston, CT for an Electrical Engineer with Motor Design Experience!
This is a Full Time, Permanent position!
80k-100k, based on experience!
The Electrical Engineer will provide technical support and product design for the development of AC & DC rotating equipment ensuring the company's leadership position in the market
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for:
- Development of electrical simulations that show a path of compliance toward meeting customer performance requirements.
- Presentation of engineering calculations for proof of concept.
- Review of existing products to determine if a customer solution already exists within the business.
- Providing production data and technical support for the quoting and build of rotating machines.
- Leading within a cross-functional environment to define the needs and develop solutions to meet customer requirements within the boundaries of the project.
- Test oversight to ensure that performance is met as defined by the project.
- Report writing as necessary for root cause failure analysis.
- Providing guidance in prototype testing of concept ideas.
- Entering manufacturing and design data as necessary for production build within existing ERP system.
—Reports to Design Engineering Department Head
—Ensures all work is done in accordance with Customer specifications and Company Policy
—Keeps supervisor aware of all progress and problems.
Environmental / Safety / Time Allocation
- Spends approximately 70% of time working at a desk in a normal office environment.
- Spends about 30% of time on work away from desk, including going out into shop and discussing manufacturing issues with Manufacturing Department personnel. Must wear eye protection and any other required personal protective equipment while on the shop floor.
Some travel may be required, <20%
The Electrical Engineer will have the following developed skills:
- The ability to perform basic through advanced Electrical and Electromagnetic Engineering calculations to solve complex problems involving influences from the electrical, mechanical and thermal engineering disciplines.
- Basic understanding of thermal and fluid dynamics to aid in temperature control of the product.
- Basic Mechanical Engineering understanding to assess strengths and weaknesses of existing and new products.
- Basic Rotor dynamics understanding for the determination of limits of rotating components such as shafts and bearings, including natural frequency and deflection at speed and temperature.
- Knowledge of material sciences to confirm strengths and weaknesses of parts.
- Equivalent circuit methodologies.
- Analytical motor performance calculators, preferably RMxprt.
- 3D CAD Simulation – FEA and/or FVM analysis with ANSYS, Maxwell.
- 3D CAD modelling, preferably SolidWorks.
- 2D CAD detailing, preferably SolidWorks.
- Knowledge and application of FMEA and DFMEA methods.
- Knowledge of ASME Y14.5 application of dimensions and geometric tolerancing.
- Understanding of Enterprise Data Management system processes, preferably SolidWorks EPDM.
- MRP/ERP data entry.
Physical Requirements of the Electrical Engineering job
Job requires sitting at a desk doing normal office work, including phone communications and using a computer. Also involves standing and walking in an office and a manufacturing facility. May be required to assist in production and testing of new products or product improvements.
Education / Experience required for the Electrical Engineering job
BSEE with a minimum of 5 to 7 years' experience in product design and providing technical guidance, instruction and sales support in rotating machinery disciplines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of motors, generators and switch gear operation, construction and testing.
- Demonstrated experience with Variable Frequency Drives and motor control panels.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proficient knowledge and use of MS Office Suite
- Experience in a LEAN environment a plus
- Good oral and written communication skills are essential
- Must possess the ability to build peer relationships as well as work independently
- Must be action oriented, ethical in value, and have a strong customer focus
Some travel may be required, <20%
Apply on company website