The Care Transitions Team Pharmacist is a member of a multidisciplinary team focused on complex patients who require a more intensive and creative approach to address both clinical and psychosocial issues. The Care Transitions Team provides structure, processes, and expertise in identifying and managing cases that could result in unnecessary utilization of healthcare resources, challenging placement, or complicated discharges. The team works to successfully transition these patients from inpatient to the discharge destination by ensuring treatment plans are understood and patients and families can implement the plan. Communication is also facilitated between inpatient and post-acute providers.
The Care Transitions Team Pharmacist works to assure optimal and effective pharmaceutical care as part of a collaborative practice group including providers, pharmacy, nursing, care coordination, and the patient with a goal to promote patient well-being and decrease total cost of care. The Care Transitions Team Pharmacist will monitor and optimize medication use and assure safe and cost-effective therapy for patients. General functions of the Care Transitions Team Pharmacist are outlined below and may include, but are not limited to:
· Conduct comprehensive appraisals of patient health status by taking health history and drug history.
· Evaluate drug therapy through clinical assessment, direct patient care involvement, and subjective and objective findings relating to patient response to drug therapy.
· Make recommendations to optimize drug therapy regimens, including initiation, continuation, discontinuation, and altering therapy.
· Monitor drug therapy regimens and make ongoing recommendations as necessary.
· Analyze laboratory and diagnostic test data to modify drug therapy and dosing as necessary.
· Develop, document, and execute therapeutic plans utilizing the most effective, least toxic, and most economical medication treatments.
· Communicate and document findings and recommendations to appropriate individuals and in appropriate records (i.e., patient medical record).
· Implement approved protocols regarding drug therapy.
· Provide education to providers and other clinic members as it relates to the collaborative.
· Provide patient and healthcare professional education and medication information.
· Demonstrate flexibility in staffing and work practice and support cross training as patient/customer needs require.
· Responsible for providing pharmacist back-up duties as requested by pharmacy leadership.
· Observe regular business hours and be consistently punctual in reporting to work and to and from breaks.
· Regularly attend department meetings.
· Support Mission, Vision, and Values of Western Maryland Health System.
This position requires ability to demonstrate sound professional judgement. Ability and initiative to assume responsibility for patient drug therapy. Strong organization skills and attention to detail. Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively. Strong teaching and mentoring skills.
In this position, your skills will be utilized to develop our care transitions program. The qualified candidate should have a good understanding of pharmacotherapy of chronic disease state management and motivational interviewing/patient counseling. A solid understanding of prescription coverage and medication accessibility is preferred, although not required. The pharmacist will be expected to rotate through inpatient acute care practice with the care transitions role.
Providing leadership in designing, implementing, and managing patient-centered medication reconciliation program. Serving as patient advocate throughout the transitions of care.
Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited school of pharmacy
PGY2 Ambulatory Care preferred or relevant experience in Care Transitions/Ambulatory Care
Maryland Pharmacist license or eligible to reciprocate required.
Education, Certification, and Training
BCPS certification preferred
Minimum of 2 years relevant experience, preferably in developing new Ambulatory/ Transitions-in-Care programClinical pharmacy, clinical pharmacokinetics, and clinical pharmacology experience
Apply on company website