The purpose of the Operations Management Leadership program is to develop an individual with prior leadership experience into a Worthington Industries leader with the right mindset, skills and abilities to take on larger leadership roles within our production facilities. In this role an individual will be exposed to various operation and support teams to learn various aspects of our business while progressively becoming more involved and gaining more responsibilities and decision making authority.
The program begins with several weeks spent on the plant floor working hand-in-hand with our production employees to learn our manufacturing processes, obtain customer knowledge and build solid employee relationships. The Operations Management Trainee will spend time with safety, quality, engineering, supply chain, human resources, finance, sales and transformation to understand each functions' significance and impact on our business.
The roles and responsibilities are under the direction of the Operations Manager and are assigned in alignment with the business unit succession planning initiatives. From there, the individual will continue to be mentored and developed while progressing through the ranks of leadership and beyond.
The Operations Management Trainee is expected to be able to travel and relocate dependent on what opportunities arise. This role reports to the Operations Manager and works closely with all members of the management team with increasing decision making responsibility over time. The employee will learn what it means to be a part of a highly successful enterprise while building skills and preparing for future Operations roles.
- Perform entry level job duties in all departments in order to fully understand the production process
- Use working knowledge of production process, machines and materials to train and evaluate production employees.
- Develop a deep understanding of business operations including but not limited to supply chain, sales, safety, quality and production operations
- Assist in the EH&S functions consisting of preparing for the RAS audits and establishing corrective actions from the RAS audit, WEIMS management, ISN contractor assistance and environmental functions.
- Learn the customer sales/shipping function and assist in troubleshooting when necessary to ensure all orders are processed on time
- Identify opportunities to make changes, cut costs and improve efficiencies where appropriate.
- Assist the facility in completing Transformation requirements and projects
- Learn the quality system, scheduling system and flow of work orders from planning to completion and be able to fill in as needed.
- Determine workforce requirements for department and assists with the hiring process as well as engage in performance management conversations with production employees.
- Execute tasks and projects with accuracy and timeliness as assigned.
- Experience in an operations capacity
- Bachelor's degree in Operations Management, related field or like experience
- Proven success in managing a facility or a portion in the manufacturing industry or like type business
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing practices
- Strong leadership skills
- Models Our Philosophy
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong problem solving and/or troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated ability in decision making, analytical thinking, time management and motivation
- Can plan, coordinate and execute large projects
- Willingness to relocate is a plus
- Must be willing to travel
- Must be able to work any shift
We are dedicated to the belief that people are our most important asset. In filling job openings every effort is expended to find candidates within Worthington, its divisions or subsidiaries. Employee development, opportunity to grow and continuing to evolve both as an employee and as a company are instrumental to our success. We encourage employees to inquire about open positions and apply to those that help further their career goals.
Worthington Industries Inc., and its subsidiaries, is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered regardless of race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, disability or veteran's status.
Apply on company website