WHAT YOU DO AT AMD CHANGES EVERYTHING
We care deeply about transforming lives with AMD technology to enrich our industry, our communities, and the world. Our mission is to build great products that accelerate next-generation computing experiences – the building blocks for the data center, artificial intelligence, PCs, gaming and embedded. Underpinning our mission is the AMD culture. We push the limits of innovation to solve the world's most important challenges. We strive for execution excellence while being direct, humble, collaborative, and inclusive of diverse perspectives. This is who we are at our best. One Company. One Team.
AMD together we advance_
1 Commerce Valley Dr E, Thornhill, ON L3T 7X6
This is an onsite position – the intern/co-op is required to relocate if necessary and work full-time (40 hours) from the location office.
Start Date May 1, 2023 – April 26, 2024
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The PRIME software team implements power management, system-level engineering, and fault tolerant solutions across different graphic products, platforms, and operating systems. In addition, our team engages with the silicon design team to develop state-of-the-art graphics & platform power management technologies without sacrificing performance. Some research-based projects are focused on innovation and may involve the use of the latest techniques and technologies, including AI and ML. If you are interested in software driver development at the kernel level, along with computer and OS architecture then the PRIME team is where it's at.
To design and develop new software features and resolve engineering problems to enhance the immersive gaming experience and enable creativity on AMD graphics. The job will focus mainly on GPU kernel driver development for AMD graphic products on various operating systems and platforms.
- Develop features based on Engineering and Marketing requirements
- Perform driver bring-up, design, and implementation on new hardware platforms
- Debug, analyze, and resolve quality and certification issues as reported by validation teams and customers
- Work with software, firmware, and hardware engineers to design and develop power/system-level features
- Write detailed design documents for major driver changes
- Report status of activities to management and peers in a concise, timely, and effective manner
- Coordinate closely with peers and colleagues from other teams to ensure timely and effective communication of all assigned work activities
- Execute software assignments as a highly motivated self-starter
- Continuously endeavor to grow, get better, be involved, and assume responsibility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Proficient at C/C++ programming language
- Experience with Python and other scripting languages
- Experience with software debuggers
- Good understanding of OS and PC architecture
- Strong oral and written skill
- Experience with low-level hardware device programming (optional)
- Experience with various Operating System Kernel-mode driver programming (optional)
- Experience with GPU and graphic driver (optional)
- Experience with AI or Machine Learning (optional)
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Low-level kernel software programming skills and problem-solving skills
- How modern computer hardware architecture and various cutting-edge power management features work
- Driver development on Windows, Linux, and other OS architectures
- How to become a proactive team member who shows initiative and innovation
- How to communicate effectively in professional team environments
- Opportunity to network with like-minded, experienced engineers
- Opportunity to contribute novel and valuable ideas to benefit the team and company
This team is essential to the success of AMD as a growing company. It is a very exciting environment, and you will get to work with a diversity of people to advance new technologies in a demanding field. You will be working with the very best professionals on some of the most exciting projects the industry has to offer
Benefits offered are described: AMD benefits at a glance.
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies, or fee-based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity, inclusive employers and will consider all applicants without regard to age, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third-party affiliation, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants' needs under the respective laws throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Apply on company website