What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies – building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the “extra mile” to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
Software Development Engineer - Product Solutions
The Product Solutions Team is uniquely positioned between the business units defining AMD's graphics products, and product testing teams. Primary team objectives include reviewing, defining, and validating the experiences that our customers have while interacting with our products, and supporting the end-to-end product lifecycle from definition through product retirement.
We are looking for a talented software engineer who is passionate about software quality and problem solving. You will be working with a group of debug engineers to reproduce, analyze and debug driver defects to the root cause and help make our products reliable from hangs, BSODS, or any other undesired behavior. You will be contributing to the bring up and delivery of new GPUs, new software features, and driver support for latest OS version into the market. You will work with Software, Platform, SoC HW IP teams, Firmware, OS, SBIOS, Video BIOS, Security, Kernel Driver, Display, Audio, SMU, Power organizations to problem solve.
You will analyze scan dumps and drive issue investigations with HW/FW teams. For Soft Lock and BSODs you will initialize WinDBG or debug logs to kick-off investigations. You will perform initial triage, debug analysis, collect/analyze information required by developers/IP Silicon engineers.
You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team who will also lead system level investigations on the HW and FW side for customer escalated or difficult issues to solve as part of the advanced debug team. You will also be supported by a team of testers and who will help run experiments under your guidance.
The Product Solution Team is a growing team, so similar to a start-up environment you will ‘get to do a bit of everything'. The ideal candidate should be versatile from assembling systems to initial windbg failing signature determination to deep diving into hardware debug register analysis and scan reports. Leadership qualities to work effectively with different teams across AMD and host productive meetings to drive issues to resolution will be a big asset. Most importantly, the candidate is open minded and not afraid to step out of their comfort zone.
A passion for building quality software is paramount, and strong product development skills with C / C++ are a must. Aligned with that, strong problem solving skills and a good understanding of PC architecture and operating system concepts are required. Busy periods will require a strong ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
Knowledge of device driver development under Windows is a plus
- Triage issues based on written descriptions & Perform initial debug break-ins and scans
- Working with IP designers / IP engineers to solve issues
- Analyze/Diagnose failure based on signatures (Windows Dumps, WinDebug Sessions)
- Doing software debug with Windows Debug (WinDBG) and Kernel debug with ability to isolate failure and handoff to software developers
- Doing soft-lock analysis with examining registers and Hardware SoC scans, debug output, logs and conducting experiments for issue isolations
- Proficient in C, C++, or other programming languages
- Python or scripting experience is a must
- Willingness and patience to deploy test and collect results as part of you daily routine
- 5-years of System Engineering or Software Development experience
- System level debug skills and experience
- Microsoft Windows Architecture Knowledge
- Microsoft Windows Debug skill (O/S, Drivers, Firmware)
- Experience with software testing, and certification such as Agile Testing or ITSQB a big bonus
- Familiarity or knowledge of quality standards a bonus
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer or SW Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent.
Requisition Number: 80784
Country: Canada State: Ontario City: Markham
AMD is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants' needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Any applicant who requires accommodation should contact AskHR@amd.com.
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services.
Apply on company website