PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide clinical support to the Breast Surgery Specialists' practitioners, and to work cooperatively with all of the Breast Care Center internal and external customers.
RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
· Acts as patient relations representative by answering patient inquiries either in person or on the telephone within the limits of his/her knowledge and medical practice policies.
· Schedules and manages appointments for BSS practitioners according to department policy for appointment type.
o Takes preliminary information by telephone and registers patient into the current electronic medical record.
o Reviews insurance for eligibility; informs patient and facilitates Yes You Can enrollment if applicable.
o Understands Ohio Breast and Cervical Cancer program and screens potential candidates.
· Checks practitioners' schedules frequently for any add-ons or updates; communicates updates to key personnel.
· Reviews patient's medical record prior to visit to insure completeness; obtains the results of recent testing as needed and mammogram or other breast imaging if applicable.
· Cheerfully greets and registers incoming patients and their visitors in a prompt and pleasant manner; determines their needs and responds accordingly.
· Collects, copies and updates personal and financial information (insurance cards, driver's license, etc.) obtained from the patients.
· Rooms patients in a timely fashion making sure to identify patient and compare with chart information:
o Obtains vital signs, height, weight, and current accurate list of medications; and all pertinent information needed for the practitioner to assess the patient.
o Maintains flow of the office schedule so that patients are seen in a timely manner; informs patients when unavoidable delays occur and expected timeframes for completion of visits.
· Follow-up on patient no-shows; send reminder notices when appropriate.
· Performs procedures within scope of practice and according to policy and protocol as directed by the practitioners.
· Notifies practitioner of the need for prescription refill according to policy and protocol.
· Correctly makes arrangements for various tests and procedures:
o This includes scheduling hospital procedures and surgeries, and out-patient tests and imaging.
o Obtains precertification or prior authorizations, prints practitioners' orders, communicates pertinent information to the patient, and adds on to the practitioner schedule if appropriate.
· Accurately completes medical forms and correctly completes and routes billing information to appropriate staff. (Example: disability forms, FLMA forms, etc.).
· Copies and releases medical records according to office procedures and patient or staff requests.
· Maintains an accurate file system for insurance eligibility lists and office forms including:
o return to work
o release of medical records
o informed consent
o prescription pads
· Documents properly and legally in the patient's chart and EMR.
· Schedules initial and follow up visits, testing, surgery, and referrals accurately and completely in electronic or paper records.
· Correctly informs the patient regarding all surgery, testing and medications that are ordered.
· Collects co-pays from insured patients and provide receipts when warranted.
· Maintains recall list and sends notices or calls patients according to time frame.
· Returns incoming phone calls to patients by the end of the same business day.
· Notifies practitioner immediately of abnormal lab results or urgent changes in patients' condition.
· Restocks and cleans exam rooms after use according to protocol.
· Demonstrates basic knowledge and skill in use of current electronic health record.
o Utilizes the EHR to accurately document and inform practitioners of patient interactions.
o Scans paper documents into the EMR.
o Understands and completes the basics of meaningful use documentation.
· Completes additional training as requested.
· Adheres to the dress code and maintains a neat and professional appearance.
· Participates in outreach activities of the Breast Care Center and the Cancer Program.
· Other duties as assigned by the Practice Coordinator or Manager.
· Graduate of an approved Medical Assisting Program and current certification as a Certified Medical Assistant.
· Current CPR training certificate.
· Adherence to Aultman's policy of yearly heath testing, OSHA and HIPAA training.
· Evidence of good health by infrequent absenteeism.
· Ability to meet and interact with the public in a mature, courteous and professional manner.
· Effective and friendly interpersonal communication skills.
· Ability to work efficiently and accurately under conditions of high stress.
· Must be able to work both as a team and independently.
· Positive, friendly, and compassionate demeanor with patients and families.
· Must possess the ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
· Normally Monday through Friday with a lunch break daily. Lunch breaks are coordinated with other staff members for adequate coverage.
· May require paid overtime before or after normal working hours.
· Subject to frequent interruptions during performance of duties.
· Expected to adhere to office policy and procedures.
Subject to blood and body fluid exposure.
Apply on company website