Interpreter for the Deaf – (RDSPD/SF)
BASIC FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITY: Provide interpreting services for hearing impaired students in a variety of educational settings.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities noted herein; however, this is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
- Interpret in educational settings including classrooms, co-curricular activities, school-related programs and meetings, conferences, staff development, and other situations.
- Attend and interpret Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee meetings as needed.
- Tutor deaf or hard of hearing students under the direction of the classroom teacher.
- Help manage student behavior if in a crisis situation.
- Assume responsibility for learning and adapting to each student's communication needs.
- Keep teacher informed of special needs or problems of assigned students.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in staff development training programs to improve job performance.
- Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
- Follow district policies and procedures pertaining to the job assignment.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: NoneKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Ability to work with deaf or hard of hearing students
Ability to interpret in an educational setting
Knowledge of interpreter role and Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf Code of Professional Conduct
Ability to communicate effectively
Ability to read and interpret documents
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to speak effectively to groups
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid certification as interpreter granted by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf or Texas Board for Evaluation of Interpreters.
- Some experience working with children
- Copier, personal computer, and audiovisual equipment
- Troubleshoot student's auditory equipment
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Maintain emotional control under stress
- Moderate standing, stooping, bending, and lifting
- Repetitive hand motion
- Works outside and inside
Apply on company website