Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University's benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The Digital Learning & Design Hub is located within the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning. The Sheridan Center seeks to provide a place where all learners at Brown University can grow, interdisciplinary collaborations can form, and educators can experiment with different modalities of teaching and learning.
At the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning, the successful candidate for this hybrid-eligible position will be joining a team of educational developers with diverse perspectives and experiences who are each committed to educational excellence, equity, and access at Brown. Staff within this vibrant center thrive on interdisciplinary collaboration, genuine curiosity, and evidence-based, reflective practices.
Brown University has an exciting and immediate opportunity for a Learning Designer to work as part of a team dedicated to engaging in new online program development within the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning. This position will collaborate with faculty to create inclusively designed online courses for priority online graduate programs. The core responsibilities of the position include ensuring accessible and inclusive course design, assisting faculty with course content alignment to program outcomes, providing vision for rich and impactful instructor- learner interactions. The ideal candidate supports Brown's mission by incorporating knowledge of inclusive learning design, pedagogical theory, and creative problem-solving skills to promote teaching excellence and innovation, and fostering student learning in an online environment.
In this role, candidates can expect to:
- Identify, plan, and evaluate solutions (i.e., online courses, instructional materials, technologies, and strategies) for effective online teaching and learning experiences
- Plan and manage learning design projects: online course development, related instructional initiatives
- Provide 1-1 consultation to assigned faculty on the use of instructional technologies, pedagogical strategies, and learning principles throughout design-implementation cycles
- Facilitate the development and review process associated with educational media asset creation and quality assurance and usability testing
- Create, edit and incorporate resource materials (e.g., tip sheets, 1 pagers) to support assigned faculty understanding in online teaching, learning and technologies.
- Provide expertise in the areas of instructional design, pedagogy and assessment to colleagues and faculty
- Work collaboratively with Sheridan colleagues to effectively and efficiently deliver services to development partners by contributing relevant expertise as needed
- Contribute to the visual design of online courses to support effective learning experience design
- Manage project planning and development across the academic program
- Advanced degree with a strong academic background in Education (e.g., educational psychology, learning sciences, higher education, adult learning, learning experience design)
- 3-5 years of experience (Learning Designer) in instructional design and/or online course design in higher education
- Proven ability to understand and implement fundamental instructional design methodologies
- Experience applying adult learning theory and learning design methodologies to a learning experience
- Ability to learn and recommend creative technology solutions to learning design
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment where services are in high demand and new initiatives introduced routinely
- Proficiency in enterprise technologies including Canvas, Adobe Creative Suite, and other applications
- Postsecondary teaching or professional experience working effectively with a diverse student and faculty population, in alignment with the University's and Center's strategic plans and diversity and inclusion objectives
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment
- Deep knowledge of instructional alignment and learning outcomes development
- Proficiency with visual design in Adobe Creative Suite, PowerPoint and other software used for developing engaging training experiences
- Experience designing in the online learning platform, NovoEd, preferred.
Applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and CV as a single PDF or Word file.
This position is expected to work on Brown's Providence campus for a minimum of two days per week with the flexibility to work remotely on other days.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:2023-03-01
Job Posting Title:Learning Designer
Department:Teaching and Learning/Sheridan Center
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Position Classification:Hybrid Eligible
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person's race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.
Apply on company website