The Staff Physician, aligned to Geriatrics & Extended Care Service (GEC), is responsible for the overall quality of medical care and treatment to the Veteran population as assigned. The incumbent is a physician and serves as the primary point of accountability in GEC, including Community Living Centers (CLCs) and maximizes the efficient use of available resources to treat assigned population. The incumbent provides overall guidance to and collaboration with various staff members within his/her service and across the facility, to include formal collaboration with Advance Practice Nurses approved to prescribe limited controlled substances in conjunction with full practice authority. The Associate Chief of Staff (ACOS), GEC Service is the supervisor of this position.
Work Schedule:Full Time (Monday-Friday)
Financial Disclosure Report:Not requiredTravel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Physical Requirements:Satisfactory physical examination as determined by the Employee Health Unit upon appointment only. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019 ( http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/HRLibrary/Dir-Policy.htm ). Functional requirements include moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); moderate carrying (15-44 lbs); walking and standing and standing for 2 to 4 hours; Both legs required; Both eyes required Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; (hearing aid permitted).Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP): Authorized This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program within VHA. If selected for this position you must meet specific individual eligibility criteria in accordance with VHA policy 1021 and apply for EDRP within four (4) months of appointment. Final award amount and program start date is determined after review of a complete EDRP application and supporting documentation by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.ResponsibilitiesThe Staff Physician, aligned to Geriatrics & Extended Care Service (GEC), is responsible for the overall quality of ...
Apply on company website