Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than 15,400 retail locations in 44 states, 16 distribution centers and 135,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar General, employees have numerous growth and development career opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one of America's fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and let's grow together!
The Assistant Store Manager helps maintain a clean, well-organized store with a customer-first focus. At the direction and delegation of the Store Manager, the Assistant Store Manager assists with supervision of store employees, management and presentation of merchandise, completion of paperwork, and preparation of deposits. The Assistant Store Manager also performs stocking and cashiering functions, and performs other duties as necessary to maximize profitability and customer satisfaction while protecting company assets and reducing losses.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide superior customer service leadership; greet and assist customers, and operate cash register and scanner to itemize the customer's purchase.
- Open and close the store a minimum of two days per week.
- Assist Store Manager with scheduling employees, providing adequate training for employees, conducting safety meetings, and ensuring employee compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Follow company work processes to manage merchandise, including receiving, unpacking, stocking, restocking and rotating merchandise on shelves and building merchandise displays.
- Assist in maintaining accurate inventory levels by controlling damages, markdowns, scanning, paperwork, and facility controls.
- Assist in implementation and maintenance of planograms; ensure merchandise is presented according to established practices and Store Manager direction.
- Assist in ensuring financial integrity of the store through strict cashier accountability, key control, adherences to company security practices and cash control procedures; authorize and sign for refunds and overrides, count register tills, and deposit money in bank.
- Assist with management of the store in the Store Manager's absence.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Good organization skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Ability to perform cash register functions and generate reports.
- Knowledge of cash, facility, and safety control policies and practices.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Ability to drive own vehicle to the bank to deposit money.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- One year of experience in a retail environment and six months supervisory experience preferred.
- Frequent walking and standing
- Frequent bending, stooping, and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks; which may also require the ability to push and/or pull rolltainers for stocking merchandise
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as handheld scanners, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, U-boats (six-wheel carts), and rolltainers
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds
- Occasional climbing (using step ladder) up to heights of six feet
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions
- Occasional or regular driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits, attend management meetings and travel to other Dollar General stores.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website