Manages the day to day functions and performs in one of the non-technical laboratory sub-departments: including but not limited to Lab Office and Outreach. Plans, directs and coordinates the operations of the Laboratory Office. Manages staff for optimum performance and minimum overtime.
Department: Laboratory / Histology
Location: Englewood Hospital
Status: Full Time
Hours: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Directs the work of 4 to 10 laboratory employees in the daily interdepartmental assignments relative to workflow. Supervises direct reporting staff according to the policies of the Medical Center.
- Discusses with superior department objectives, work plans, organization, staffing, work methods, and performance standards.
- Performs the job duties of employees supervised as required by staffing shortages or workloads.
- Recommends or assists superiors in determining action as to hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, performance appraisals, overtime, discipline, vacations, time off, and other personnel actions. Communicates, interprets, and discusses hospital and departmental policies and procedures with employees. Hears and resolves employee grievances or refers to higher authority and manage internal staff relations.
- Orients and trains, or supervises the training of new personnel in the use of equipment, workflow, and process and instructs in job duties. Maintains the highest standard of safety, service and quality at all times.
- Maintains medical laboratory equipment performance by establishing quality standards; developing operations, quality, and troubleshooting procedures; ensuring staff compliance; certifying instrument performance; arranging equipment replacement, service, and repair.
- Conducts periodic checks of equipment, reagents, stains, etc. Reviews work completed on unsupervised shifts. Checks work list status in computer to make sure all work is complete or accounted for.
- Sets up and monitors Quality Assurance program for the laboratory, ensures all CAP proficiency testing are done in a timely manner. Remains current on and adheres to all CAP requirements and maintains CAP inspector training.
- Implements new programs, tests, methods, instrumentation, and procedures by investigating alternatives; preparing proposals; developing and performing parallel testing; monitoring progress.
- Provides medical laboratory diagnostic and therapeutic information, products, and services by establishing specimen preparation procedures; developing and implementing analytical procedures; evaluating laboratory information; consulting with pathologists; reporting results according to protocols mandated by the hospital and public health department.
- Maintains medical laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Performs administrative functions. Provides oversight and approval of departmental payroll and pay rule practices and compiles monthly statistical reports for the laboratory section.
- Performs extensive file maintenance on the laboratory computer systems and /or stand –alone Computer system and or stand-alone computer or computerized laboratory instruments.
- Interprets data and answers questions from physicians, nurses, and staff concerning test requirements, results, or specimen handling.
- Maintains open communication with supervisors, pathologists, and fellow employees to ensure optimal operation of department. Communicates pertinent information to other members of the health care team in a clinically relevant time frame to enhance the lab's contribution to patient care.
- Create schedule to ensure sufficient staffing for peak and off-peak hours and encompass weekly histotechnician station rotations.. Supervisor is designated as second on-call for frozen.
- Ensure proper specimen billing codes are executed and processed by reviewing daily billing reports.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Meets regulatory and annual health assessment requirements.
- Displays a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community and nurtures same in staff.
- Maintains high standards of service excellence in all interactions with patients, physicians, other departments and co-workers.
- Performs other duties as required by department.
Job Essentials: The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements and competencies.
- ASCP registration required
- A minimum of three years' experience as a Histotechnologist with proven leadership skills
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Must be skilled in Microsoft Office suites and email application
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Education Requirements: Bachelor's Degree required.
Englewood Health is one of New Jersey's leading hospitals and healthcare networks. Composed of Englewood Hospital, the Englewood Health Physician Network, and the Englewood Health Foundation, the health system delivers nationally recognized care in a community setting to residents of northern New Jersey and beyond. The hospital, founded in 1890, consistently earns high marks for clinical excellence and patient safety. It is among the top 10% of hospitals in the nation to earn the 2019 Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. The hospital is also nationally recognized for nursing excellence, earning a fourth consecutive designation by the Magnet Recognition Program® in 2016. Areas of clinical excellence include cardiac surgery and cardiac care, cancer care, orthopedic surgery, spine surgery, vascular surgery, and women's health, as well as bloodless medicine and surgery. Englewood Health is continually expanding services and enhancing access through the Englewood Health Physician Network, a coordinated network of office-based and hospital-based providers at more than 100 locations in six counties in New Jersey and New York. Through the main acute-care facility, physician network, hospital outpatient departments offering imaging services in local communities, and a variety of community health and wellness programs, Englewood Health delivers a healthcare experience that puts patients at the center.
Apply on company website