To perform technical assignments of a complex nature in any area of the Laboratory, e.g. Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Blood Banking, etc.
Location: Englewood Hospital
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Evenings, Saturday and Sunday
- Performs, records, and reports specimen analysis in one or more sections of the laboratory in a timely manner, according to departmental policies and procedures.
- Operates complex laboratory equipment requiring special skills. Performs preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of equipment per policy. Calibrates instruments as needed or when specified by manufacturer and/or regulations.
- Assesses accuracy and validity of obtained test results by applying knowledge of relevant scientific principles; correlates clinical information and recognizes changes that are critical to patient care, identifies probable causes for irregular and atypical findings.
- Follows protocol for running and documenting Quality Control and CAP required proficiency testing according to policy and procedure. Collects, evaluates, and reports quality management data in order to monitor and improve laboratory performance.
- Prepares stains, reagents, solutions and mounts slides for microscopic analysis as needed. Observes and analyzes reactions. Discusses abnormal or unusual results or other problems with supervisors and other appropriate personnel.
- Checks work list status on computer to make sure all work is complete and/or accounted for.
- Performs non-technical functions such as inventory of supplies, and maintaining a clean, orderly work area.
- Disposes of sharps and needles properly.
- Interprets data and answers questions from physicians, nurses, and staff concerning test requirements, results, or specimen handling.
- Maintains open communication with supervisors, pathologists, and fellow employees to ensure optimal operation of department. Communicates pertinent information to other members of the health care team in a clinically relevant time frame to enhance the lab's contribution to patient care.
- Maintains a high level of quality and safety.
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
- Meets regulatory and annual health assessment requirements.
- Displays a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community.
- Maintains high standards of service excellence in all interactions with patients, physicians, other departments and co-workers.
- Performs other duties as required by department.
- MT Registry as a Medical Technologist (Bachelor's Degree) or equivalent.
- One year work or internship.
- ASCP Certification preferred
Englewood Health is one of New Jersey's leading hospitals and healthcare networks. Composed of Englewood Hospital, the Englewood Health Physician Network, and the Englewood Health Foundation, the health system delivers nationally recognized care in a community setting to residents of northern New Jersey and beyond. The hospital, founded in 1890, consistently earns high marks for clinical excellence and patient safety. It is among the top 10% of hospitals in the nation to earn the 2019 Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. The hospital is also nationally recognized for nursing excellence, earning a fourth consecutive designation by the Magnet Recognition Program® in 2016. Areas of clinical excellence include cardiac surgery and cardiac care, cancer care, orthopedic surgery, spine surgery, vascular surgery, and women's health, as well as bloodless medicine and surgery. Englewood Health is continually expanding services and enhancing access through the Englewood Health Physician Network, a coordinated network of office-based and hospital-based providers at more than 100 locations in six counties in New Jersey and New York. Through the main acute-care facility, physician network, hospital outpatient departments offering imaging services in local communities, and a variety of community health and wellness programs, Englewood Health delivers a healthcare experience that puts patients at the center.
Apply on company website