The Field Retail Safety and Environmental Specialist provides comprehensive safety support to the Field Retail Stores by developing, implementing, and maintaining the Harbor Freight Tools safety and managed waste programs to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and company safety and environmental policies, rules, and regulations. This role is a strong partner and collaborator to many departments and can develop solutions to complex, multi-faceted challenges.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the designated retail safety and environmental representative to provide guidance and support within his/her region.
- Conduct inspections and audits within the store environment for hazards, unsafe behaviors, regulatory compliance, and other opportunities for improvement.
- Facilitate workplace injury, illness, and near miss investigations to prevent future incidents.
- Partner with store and field leadership teams to develop action plans for workplace hazards.
- Address safety and environmental related questions and concerns with their store teams.
- Act as a safety and environmental liaison during interactions with local and federal regulatory agencies.
- Respond and support stores during safety and environmental related emergencies (e.g. severe injuries, fire, earthquake, inclement weather, and spills).
- Facilitate applicable training and committee meetings for a variety of topics.
- Review and analyze safety leading and lagging metrics for hazard trends and to prevent future incidents.
- Inspire and strengthen safety culture with store Associates to help prevent injuries and proactively address workplace hazards.
- Generate and maintain documentation related to safety initiatives and needs.
- Participate in process improvement and program development activities to bolster continuous improvement.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years of health, safety, and environmental experience or related discipline (preferably in retail).
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Environmental/Occupational Health or related field.
- Strong working knowledge of OSHA regulations and other regulatory standards including but not limited to ANSI, NIOSH, NFPA, NEC, EPA, EPCRA, RCRA, and SWPPP.
- Ability to analyze incident data, new processes, and equipment for potential safety concerns.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects while working independently.
- Daily interaction with store staff, district managers, regional managers, loss prevention and human resources partners.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, reports, and articles.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in matters involving security or personnel issues.
- Supervises staff - No
- Financial Scope - Limited
- Organizational Scope – All US locations/Single Category/Region/District/Distribution Center
- Decision Making – Uses independent judgment for standard job related decisions
- Travel – 60%; Travel and working in the field for up to three weeks per month.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time within store and warehouse environments.
- Travel and working in the field for up to three weeks per month.
- Speak and listen to others in person and over the phone.
- Use keyboard and read from computer screen and reports.
- Climb ladders and step stools.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lb.
About Harbor Freight Tools
In 1977, Harbor Freight Tools was started as a small family-owned business. We made a commitment to provide working people with great quality tools at the lowest prices. And for over 43 years, Harbor Freight Tools has done just that. From hand tools and generators, to air and power tools, from shop equipment to automotive tools, Harbor Freight offers more than 5,000 tools and accessories at quality levels that match or exceed competing brands, but at prices that are up to 80% less. All while developing and launching over 1,000 new tools each year.
We're not your typical retailer. We're a team of high-achievers, who have a passion for excellence and continuous improvement and obsess about getting things done. We're also equally committed to doing the right thing and giving back to our community. And for us, collaboration is the golden rule. We're a 43 year-old, $5 billion company with over 1,100 stores, opening 2-3 new stores a week with over 40 million loyal customers and growing. If you are looking for a not so ordinary and highly rewarding career opportunity, we would love to talk with you.
Delivering Value to the Hardworking Since 1977.
Apply on company website