Job Posting TitlePreschool Teaching Assistant
Recruiting Start Date08-26-2021
Recruiting End DateOpen Until Filled
Aloha mai! Mahalo for your interest in Kamehameha Schools. If you are looking for an opportunity to utilize your skills and talents and grow in your profession, while serving and strengthening our Native Hawaiian community, we would love to have you join our ʻohana!Kamehameha Preschools is seeking a Preschool Teaching Assistant to support our Nanakuli Preschool location, however, this position will support the Waianae I Region to include: Maili and Nanakuli.
Acts as an integral part of the instructional team to enhance student learning. Responsible for the supervision of students by ensuring safety, security and maintaining the appropriate teacher to student ratio. Assists in planning and implementing a World-Class, Hawaiian Culture Based Education program for preschool aged children which also fosters Christian values. Provides direct instructional support to students by working with individual, small and/or large groups of students as requested under the direction of the teacher. Provides a developmentally appropriate learning environment and assists with student assessment. Interacts and communicates with families to support student learning. Maintains certifications as required for program needs.
Substitutes for Teacher when Teacher is absent.
- Assists in daily classroom instruction which includes; appropriate interactions with students, conducting individual, small and/or large group instruction, supporting a high quality learning environment; making observations and completing the documentation process for student assessment.
- Supervises student behavior independently and under teacher direction using appropriate early childhood behavior management strategies. Adhere to Kamehameha Schools' and state licensing health and safety policies and procedures.
- Provides program support through snack menu planning; making home visits with teacher; maintaining attendance and other records; ordering and maintaining materials and supplies.
- Prepares a safe and healthy indoor and outdoor classroom environment; including planning for and preparing snacks daily, sanitizing serving and eating areas, maintaining classroom centers, materials, records and equipment.
- Effectively communicates and collaborates with colleagues, teaching team, and families.
Participates in required professional development and training.
Stays current with technology-related job requirements.
Classroom teaching duties are performed when regular classroom teacher is absent. Duties may include a range of tasks with various levels of independence. Responsible to/for:
- Develop and implement lesson plans or implement plans that the teacher has developed
- Implement keiki assessment plan
- Classroom management and supervision
- Communicate with ʻohana for a variety of purposes
- Daily operations of the classroom
- Participate in regional staff development/training and meetings
Minimum Qualifications - An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute for the requirements listed.
- Associate's Degree or higher in ECE OR Associate's Degree or higher and 9 ECE credits OR Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential
- High School Diploma or Equivalent, with the ability to obtain one of the following within 2 years of hire:
- Associates Degree in ECE
- Associates Degree and 9 ECE credits
- Minimum of 6 months of related work experience
- Valid Hawaii Driver's License or ability to acquire a valid Hawaii Driver's License within 2 months of hire
- Have good interpersonal skills with children and adults
- Able to organize a high volume of varied work activities
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Have good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to become certified in Community First Aid and Pediatric CPR certified
- Ability to acquire Department of Health, Food Handler's Certification
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Early Childhood Education (ECE)
- Knowledge of, and sensitivity to, Hawaiian culture
- Knowledge of, and sensitivity to, pre-kindergarten children
- Community First Aid and Pediatric CPR certified
- Department of Health, Food Handler's Certification
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Frequently sits (on chair and/or ground), perform desk-based computer tasks and grasp light or fine manipulation, talk or hear.
- Frequently stand and/or walk, write by hand, and lift and/or carry, push and/or pull objects that weigh up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to lift and/or carry weigh up to 30 pounds.
- Frequently twist, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crawl, climb, reach or work above shoulder, or grasp forcefully.
Working Conditions (including Environmental Conditions)
- This position requires working indoors and outdoors at the preschool multiple times throughout the day.
- This position requires work at off-site locations (indoor and outdoor) for the entire school day.
- This position may involve traveling to various locations, including neighbor islands to conduct business.
- This position may require working at various locations within the region for which this position is posted.
- Work is conducted in an classroom environment and may require work to be conducted in non-standard workplaces.
- Work is typically conducted Monday through Friday at normal business hours.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties and skills required. The incumbent may be expected to perform other duties as assigned.
For Internal Use Only: #LI-CA
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact us at email@example.com or 808-534-8040 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Primary LocationNanakuli II Preschool
City, StateWaianae, Hawaii
Additional LocationsCommunity Learning Center at Maili, Nanakuli I Preschool
Apply on company website